129 - removal of veneer trim on door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

MB Enthusiast
Car
2000 SL500, 2005 Touareg 5.0 V10 diesel
Anyone know whether the veneer strip (96- models I think) on the doors just clips off, or do you have to start taking the door apart to get it off?
Am thinking of having the interior wood reveneered to black but I'll need to remove and replace the parts myself.

nickg said:
Anyone know whether the veneer strip (96- models I think) on the doors just clips off, or do you have to start taking the door apart to get it off?
Am thinking of having the interior wood reveneered to black but I'll need to remove and replace the parts myself.

check this out :D
http://www.astro-nut.com/mb-door.html

KLP 92 said:
Nick's car is a facelift, so it won't apply to his.

In which case. The door strips are held on with either nuts on the back of the door card or some sort of trapping washer :( and at £970 + VAT per door card I would not suggest tampering with them :D If you want the door card off and they are the same model type as the 99 versions then

3 screws in the silver door plate
1 screw under the SRS badge
2 scews in the door pounch
1 screw in the plastic lock cover

pop the triangular piece of at the top of the door

pop the panel pins out and lift the door

It stays attached to the outer door by the lock :( You can fiddle with this to release the card have a rug or somthing to rest the door on while you are doing it :)

refitting is in reverse but the screw holes are a sod to line up :(

sounds like a real bugger then.
I'll be getting someone who knows how to do it, to do it.

....or...........

do what my local ICE installer did and .... erm tug like bggery until you hear pinging noises and it comes off in your hands :(

But did it go back on OK?

syfaphonetic said:
do what my local ICE installer did and .... erm tug like bggery until you hear pinging noises and it comes off in your hands :(

Dont forget the magic number £970 plus vat per door !!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

peterchurch said:
In which case. The door strips are held on with either nuts on the back of the door card or some sort of trapping washer :( and at £970 + VAT per door card I would not suggest tampering with them :D If you want the door card off and they are the same model type as the 99 versions then

3 screws in the silver door plate
1 screw under the SRS badge
2 scews in the door pounch
1 screw in the plastic lock cover

pop the triangular piece of at the top of the door

pop the panel pins out and lift the door

It stays attached to the outer door by the lock :( You can fiddle with this to release the card have a rug or somthing to rest the door on while you are doing it :)

refitting is in reverse but the screw holes are a sod to line up :(

still wanna do it. Got quoted £300 by my friendly mechanic.
how hard can it be???

By the way, how does one remove/replace "trapping washers" ?

It sounds similar to the w202, please check this out so you know what we're dealing with:

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5491

You can still operate the car without the door trim, but the W202 for example refuses to arm the alarm properly without the trim in place, and the interior light doesn't go out because the door switches aren't depressed fully.
KLP 92 said:
Nick's car is a facelift, so it won't apply to his.
The door itself will be basically the same regardless of age, I imagine the process is almost identical for any age of R129, with possibly some very minor differences.

Last edited:
I plan to replace the door card whilst I have the wood reveneered.

nickg said:
I plan to replace the door card whilst I have the wood reveneered.

What are you going to replace them with? I need some for mine and MB want £970 plus vat per side for the MB door cards! The seat controls are attached to the card if you have the same version as mine ...

Removing the cards takes about 10 minutes per door and the self tapping plastic rivets slide onto a seating on the door card. I used a mixture of the ones for the SL and some from the new C class to replace the door after wards. The C class ones are _FAR_ tougher than the ones that were sold as replacements for the SL doors so I used them for the bottom of the door...

It really is very easy to remove but take your time putting them back.

regards,

Peter

Shude said:
The door itself will be basically the same regardless of age, I imagine the process is almost identical for any age of R129, with possibly some very minor differences.

Hi

Not true Im affraid... The early doors were made up of several parts while the new door card is in one peice. If you try and remove a facelift card the same way as the older door you will ruin the card (I will try and post the silly little dig marks in my cards where some dumbass has tried to pop the seat mechanism out :mad:

peterchurch said:
What are you going to replace them with? I need some for mine and MB want £970 plus vat per side for the MB door cards! The seat controls are attached to the card if you have the same version as mine ...

Removing the cards takes about 10 minutes per door and the self tapping plastic rivets slide onto a seating on the door card. I used a mixture of the ones for the SL and some from the new C class to replace the door after wards. The C class ones are _FAR_ tougher than the ones that were sold as replacements for the SL doors so I used them for the bottom of the door...

It really is very easy to remove but take your time putting them back.

regards,

Peter

I mean I will put my door cards back on without the wood pieces, for the few days that it will take to get them reveneered.

Not sure what you mean about the self tapping plastic rivets. Are those what holds the wood strips in place? And will I need to buy new ones?

nickg said:
I mean I will put my door cards back on without the wood pieces, for the few days that it will take to get them reveneered.

Not sure what you mean about the self tapping plastic rivets. Are those what holds the wood strips in place? And will I need to buy new ones?

No the edges of the door are held flush with white plastic popper studs these are what I was talking about...

You might not need to replace them but I would buy a few dozen on the basis of they cost nothing and you won't need them if you have them :)

The trim is held on with small iron poles then there is a kind of one use metal clip holding the pole on place on... some parts are also held on with plastic welds... the Air bag strip is _VERY_ fragile once of the door and the slightest presure will open it. So be careful

Regards,

Peter

so I'll need the "one use metal clips" then..........getting more and more complicated....

nickg said:
so I'll need the "one use metal clips" then..........getting more and more complicated....

yes and possibly a tool to apply them :) I would have a work with the parts department at docklands MB and see if they can explain how to do it... the trouble is that the door cards are a kit sold as one item.

Hi Nick,

I had a SL door card off earlier today, 5 minutes to take it off, but the wood seems to be held in by some sort of rivot mechanism. I could take it off for you but not sure about refitting the wood. But £300 sounds like a joke, its 1 hour labour tops, £50-60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom