12k mile E55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sjmw

Car
SL60; SLK230K; Porsche 928 GTS; L405 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography
This popped up earlier. No idea re value but there can’t be many with this mileage:

Beautiful car. I really miss my W210 E55. I need to find a guy with a frame machine to fix it. Then convert it to a 6 speed.

I wonder what it would look like after 1 winter's use lol

Ad mentions the original price in Deutsch Marks. Would that imply this RHD car was purchased in Germany. Armed Forces first owner possibly?

Last edited:
Fantastic. Exactly the same spec as my 1998 E55, even down to those bloody 20 inch wheels. Brought back a few memories.

Wonder who owned it and didn't use it ?

And who would put down £25+k to take it on now ? Strictly just for a museum ?

Love that it's still for sale, while the Subaru Impreza he's also advertising has already been sold.

Subaru Impreza 22B - Collectors Example - *270 Miles From New* *SOLD* | eBay

Fantastic. Exactly the same spec as my 1998 E55, even down to those bloody 20 inch wheels. Brought back a few memories.

Wonder who owned it and didn't use it ?

And who would put down £25+k to take it on now ? Strictly just for a museum ?

Love that it's still for sale, while the Subaru Impreza he's also advertising has already been sold.

Subaru Impreza 22B - Collectors Example - *270 Miles From New* *SOLD* | eBay

They’re 18” wheels Mike ;)

Large for their time, but seen on many a C-class etc nowadays.

They’re 18” wheels Mike ;)
Large for their time, but seen on many a C-class etc nowadays.

Whoops, mea culpa, thanks for the correction. A good reminder of how wheels have got bigger

I thought mine were 20" ones, bigger than the standard 18" AMG 2 on the normal E55. I'm probably mistaken

The one for sale is definitely on 18's.

My memory of them at the time was that the AMG 2's were horrible for the daily commute into Marylebone and the City of London back in 2000.
Great at 70 mph on the motorway, rubbish around town.

It never occurred to me, at the time to downsize the wheels.

Last edited:
Whoops, mea culpa, thanks for the correction. A good reminder of how wheels have got bigger

I thought mine were 20" ones, bigger than the standard 18" AMG 2 on the normal E55. I'm probably mistaken

The one for sale is definitely on 18's.

My memory of them at the time was that the AMG 2's were horrible for the daily commute into Marylebone and the City of London back in 2000.
Great at 70 mph on the motorway, rubbish around town.

It never occurred to me, at the time to downsize the wheels.
They won’t have been 20s :)

You can’t fit small wheels on an E55, at a push you might get away with 17s instead of the factory fit 18s but anything else wouldn’t clear the brake discs and calipers.

One thing people often forget is that these AMG cars weren’t just Avantgardes with a big engine, the dampers, springs, ARBs etc are all beefed up and the ride will always be firm around town. As you say, on smooth tarmac they’re okay but then they were built for the Autobahns.

I think you could get adaptive suspension (hydraulic) on the 210 E55 as an option, which I suspect would have improved the ride. The later 211 E55 on air is a very smooth ride by comparison to the steel springs used on the early car :thumb:

had me thinking too when Mike mentioned 20's :) that is a lovely car, but more of a show piece in that condition.

Buy it, use it and enjoy it - it’s far cheaper than a new equivalent.....
And a lot slooower, thirsty, prone to rust etc ;)

I bought a lower mileage (212) E63 that was pretty much as new for less than what this 210 is up for.

I think if you wanted one to actually use and pile on some miles a newer model makes more sense :thumb:

And a lot slooower, thirsty, prone to rust etc ;)
I bought a lower mileage (212) E63 that was pretty much as new for less than what this 210 is up for.
I think if you wanted one to actually use and pile on some miles a newer model makes more sense :thumb:

It's a piece of art, to be appreciated for what it was. Doesn't stand scrutiny compared to a ten or six year old modern equivalents.

The 1994 Porsche Turbo is a good benchmark. 0-60 in 6.2 seconds (auto)

Look at those numbers and weep compared to modern cars.

porsche_964_rs_3.8_1994_-_8_-_a7309824.jpeg

Ad mentions the original price in Deutsch Marks. Would that imply this RHD car was purchased in Germany. Armed Forces first owner possibly?

Supposedly ordered from Aachen dealer, so either BFG or Diplomatic - Maastricht is just up the road.

Not a turbo in the picture either, that’s an RS ;)

Look at those numbers and weep compared to modern cars.

And when did any one last do 0-60 in under 5 secs on the road or travel at 150mph anywhere than some autobahn for a few seconds?

Modern performance cars are an irrelevance and unexciting

why do you think the older, analogue, cars are in such demand at such high prices?

And when did any one last do 0-60 in under 5 secs on the road

why do you think the older, analogue, cars are in such demand at such high prices?
Ermmm :doh:

Old cars have usually become more valuable in the same ways as lots of old stuff becomes valuable.

Supply and demand, fuelled by nostalgia :)

And a W210 is not an analogue car ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom