12V feed to glovebox - W209

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martyp87

Car
W166 GLE350d
Hello,

Quick question, hopefully a simple one. I've just discovered a little gadget when upgrading to a Blackberry Q10, called the Blackberry Music Gateway. Basically, it lets you stream audio from your blackberry (or any Bluetooth phone really) to a 3.5mm out jack.

The CD changer in my car is very temperamental and after the last time I took it apart to remove the cartridge I haven't used it again so I was using COMAND to play CDs which is a pain when I need to use the nav.

Basically, I want to fit the Music Gateway inside the glovebox and feed it into the Aux-In port there. Problem is it needs power from a USB, I can get a 12V - USB cable no problem, I just need to know which wire I can splice into. Ideally, an ignition on feed which I can access without dismantling too much of the dash. :eek:

Looking to undertake the project next weekend, so I have all week to source/order the necessary supplies.

Thank you in advance, I suppose any dismantling advice for the dash I can rely on Karl (KillerHerz) :D

Switched 12v from the rear of the cigarette lighter.

As per npuk.

Remove the fag lighter, take a tap from the live and earth and run them to a power socket under the glovebox.
Simple job - cover under the glovebox is held up by two torx screws.

My W210 glovebox has a light in it which has a switched 12v feed. If you have a lamp it should have a 12v feed

if not, as per above

Great stuff, forgot about the obvious.

The glove box does have a light however, it will only operate once the door is opened unfortunately so it won't have power going to it when the box is closed.

Thanks guys!

Great stuff, forgot about the obvious.

The glove box does have a light however, it will only operate once the door is opened unfortunately so it won't have power going to it when the box is closed.

Thanks guys!

I would check it - the feed should be 'live' once the ignition is on. The fact the lamp is activated once the glovebox is opened is because it has been 'switched' on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom