12V Power socket in SLK R171

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Eventually found this in passenger footwell (no cigarette lighter) and discovered that it does not work - due in no small part to not being connected and in bits! LOL

So, anybody know the part number for a new socket please? Doubtless, MB charge an arm and a leg so is there an OEM part I could use? (probably will not ever use it - see below - but want to keep the car "pukka"!) The owners manual says it is suitable for accessories up to a maximum of 180W

I also intend to fit a twin adaptor with 2 USB ports which handily *just" fits in the oddment tray above the audio-20, so can be hidden away! The three wires going to the power outlet are yellow/black, brown/white and blue/white - is that ground, live and neutral respectively?

Many thanks

The original from Mercedes is not expensive. However I have failed to find the part number. Will post if I find it

On a car you have two power wires, ground and +12v. The thick ones are the power connections. The one with brown is ground. The thin wire, if present, is lighting.

Richard

The original from Mercedes is not expensive. However I have failed to find the part number. Will post if I find it

On a car you have two power wires, ground and +12v. The thick ones are the power connections. The one with brown is ground. The thin wire, if present, is lighting.

Richard

Thanks Richard. Would you recommend I take your oft repeated advice re inline fuse? If so, what size fuse?

Thanks Richard. Would you recommend I take your oft repeated advice re inline fuse? If so, what size fuse?

Oh yes. The fuse needs to protect the wire you are installing so it doesn't melt if something takes too much current.
Given you are connecting just a couple of USB, i'd go with a 5A fuse and then basically 0.5mm2 cable or bigger (which is pretty much the smallest standard cable available from auto-shops)
BUT, if the thing you are connecting has cable with it, it should say in the manual what size fuse to use. We have some pre-wired USB socket things that we'd use a smaller fuse on.

Cheers
Richard

...... We have some pre-wired USB socket things that we'd use a smaller fuse on.....

Do you have a link for these Richard? I have seen it on one of your posts but can't find it!

Edit: Found it Richard but only 1 socket and only 1A

Spent ages looking for an adaptor that is wired but only has 2 USB with total of 5A (all I have seen include 2 cigarette lighter sockets). Prefer bare wire, or can have a cigarette lighter plug on end. Anybody?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom