12V Sockets (lighter plugs)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I'm rewiring the rally car, and I realised I forgot to make notes of where some cables go...

Are the lighter plugs/12V sockets in cars positive core or positive shroud? I have both options, and don't really want to guess :p

Thanks,
M.

Positive to the centre contact in the socket.

You can refer to this here, there will also be a 3rd wire for the lighter illumination bulb which is not shown in the link.

Dec

You can refer to this here, there will also be a 3rd wire for the lighter illumination bulb which is not shown in the link.

Dec

Thanks - the third wire is actually a whole separate plug in the Shogun - it's got one of those horrid rice-bulbs on the side...

Now I just need to find what the two mistery wires are... (I've posted this on a pajero/shogun forum, but what they hey... does anyone know where these go on a Mk2 Shogun? I don't have any spare plugs, so I'm guessing they are for an option I don't have... or at least, that's what I'm starting to hope!

img0003kw6.jpg

img0002ao5.jpg

img0001rk3.jpg

)

To me, going into the back of the cigar lighter, it looks like,
Blue is Positive + power to the cigar lighter (which is only live when ignition is ON)

Yellow/Black is the Positive + to the cigar lighter bulb (which is only live when lights are ON)
Green/White is Negative – (ground/earth) The cigar lighter and the bulb share the Green/White Negative – wire.

However, the Green/White and the Yellow/Black might work the other way around, that is;
The Green/White is the Positive + to the cigar lighter bulb
…and
The Yellow/Black is Negative – (ground/earth) for the bulb and cigar lighter,
the only sure way to determine what is live is to use one of these… HERE

Is that another cigar lighter to the right in the 3rd picture?
Not sure what you mean by the “two mistery wires”

Dec

Last edited:
Got it sussed! The two "mystery plugs" (each with 3 wires, shown in the pictures) are for the heated seats!

No wonder I couldn't find a connector for them, the seats are still in the garage :p So I just need to leave them "accessible" and when I put the seats back in, those two cables will come in handy ;)

Next weekend... reconnecting the air-con :p

M.
Edit: Dec - yeah, there are a few "sockets" in the car, two in the center console... one with a cigarette lighter bit and one with a "12V 120W" cap on it for in-car-accessories. The loom looks roughly like this:

>Blue + (rear socket)
>Black - (rear socket)

>Red + (front socket)
>Black - (front socket)

>Rice bulb holder connected to the wiring loom (x2)

>Switch connectors (x2; 1 for the suspension stiffness and 1 for the rear fan)
>Daisy chain connectors (x2; both go to the rear passenger control board for rear climate control and lights)
>Heated seats connectors (x2; the black ones in the pictures)

M.

EDIT 2: Anyone want to go out for dinner? I got caught removing the rear part of the center console from the dishwasher, and I have a feeling making myself scarce for dinner is a good idea :p

Last edited:
120W, thats to plug in the dishwasher!

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom