13 pin trailer socket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marty359

Car
BMW 330d with indicators and Jeep Renegade also with indicators
I loaded up the trailer this morning, hitched it onto my fancy tow bar then went to plug it in and :doh: trailer plug has 7 pins and car socket has 13 pins.

The local trailer shop is closed on Sundays so I had to go to Halfords and buy a 13pin to 7 adaptor but the 3 locating pins are wrong and it doesn't fit. They don't just sell the 13 pin plugs so I can swap it with the trailer 7 pin plug so had a look on ebay and the 13 pin plugs look exactly the same as the Halfords adaptor I tried.

Is this a standard 13 pin euro socket?

Note that a 13 pin plug is not a straight push in to the socket but is introduced at 90deg to the final position and the outer is rotated clockwise to lock the plug in position. So in your pic the flat 'cap' part on the side of the plug (if it has one...some don't)would be introduced at the 3 o'clock pos and rotated till it was at 6pm. The hinged flap would then engage with said 'flat' and hold it in position.

The flat 'cap' part looks the same as in this pic...You can see how the outer part 'worms' it's way in when turned.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13-PIN-EU...ccessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item4ac0f2b867

Note also that sometimes the plug can come pre-rotated -so to speak- and you will have to grip the pins and twist the outer anti-clock to prepare it for entry.

Last edited:
Aha !! Thanks, the pins on the adaptor I had stuck out further so they hit the plug before I had a chance to turn it !!!

Thanks for the info I'll order a standard 13 pin plug and try it :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom