13 year old robber beaten up ........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Restrain him until the Police can deal with him
Having aided his dismount with the van the driver would lose his licence.
Then possibly be charged with using excess force (the van).

The 13 yo would likely get far less.

Having aided his dismount with the van the driver would lose his licence.
Then possibly be charged with using excess force (the van).

The 13 yo would likely get far less.
Don't forget only one of them used a deadly weapon.

Where to draw the line, though.

Is there anyone on here who would have stood by and done nothing to help this lady?

I'm sorry, but the UK is finished. The police are too interested - that is to say directed - in "thought crimes".

I have seen the original video of this and the 13 year old concerned looked an awful lot bigger than 13 to me, possibly 16-17 given his height and build so he would certainly have an advantage over any normal 13-14 year old.

It is a common thing these days for kids to ride into another postcode to commit crimes to get themselves a reputation within their own group and that subsequently leads to a life of crime and all that goes with it. I firmly believe he got what he deserved from the public involved and hopefully the Police will follow up with enough evidence to get him into a young offenders institute for a while.

Sometimes a decent "animated chat" with these types can solve the problem, it has round my way a few times over the years ;)

On the plus side, school exclusions are a cheap way to better Ofsted rankings.

There are 30 kids in a class. 29 of them want to learn and 1 wants to be disruptive. The problem is not just that the disruptive kid doesn't learn but that he spoils the learning for the other 29. There is no option for schools but to remove the disruptive kid from the class so that the other 29 can get on. It's the only fair thing to do. The disruptive kid will then get vastly more money spent on him than the other 29 being taught in a very small group. If he continues being unteachable and commits violet acts then it will eventually lead to exclusion. The school will do everything that it can but in the end exclusion is the only sanction left and it isn't used lightly. What can then happen is the kid gets sent to another school to start afresh. They get every chance.

When the local community are effectively fighting the police... what chances do the police have?
This goes to the heart of it: we do not (despite what some activists may wish to claim) have a paramilitary police system in the UK, so all policing has to be "by consent". Once that "consent" breaks down you have a very big problem.

There are 30 kids in a class. 29 of them want to learn and 1 wants to be disruptive. There is no option for schools but to remove the disruptive kid from the class so that the other 29 can get on. It's the only fair thing to do.

This is exactly what happened to our son during secondary education . He has always had trouble with maths and was filtered down through the maths classes , unfortunately so were all the trouble makers so now you have a class with kids who need help the most but cant get it as the class also contains numerous "problem" kids.

I remember his , broken, teacher telling us one year that it can take him around 30 mins to get the class settled , leaving the remaining 30 mins to actually teach and assist the pupils which is virtually impossible.

FWIW the kid mentioned in the first post got what he deserved , he will probably get an "ambulance chaser" to get him some £££ from the driver of the car or from the government and will play on any injuries he has for his future "career" , the driver who "lost it" will be be paying for his actions for a very long time.

K

I have a thirteen year old grandson that is over 6ft tall . He is non-violent and thankfully well behaved, but could easily be mistaken for a 16-17 years old . If any of my seven grandchildren were robbed at knifepoint by a thirteen year old I would have no compunction whatsoever in giving him a slap. Carrying a knife is only one step away from using one. Try telling a bereaved parent that the person that murdered their child "didn`t know any better". Excuse the pun but that just doesn`t cut it with me.
There are around 50,000 knife crimes a year in the U.K. of which over 250 result in death , or 40% of all homicides.

Last edited:
On my local facebook today there are little scrotes breaking wing mirrors of cars and snapping off wiper blades. At leas 5 mirrors that I know of. And what are the police doing. Nowt. I can see trouble coming with adults taking the law into their own hands. A bit like this white van driver. Time for the boiler suit and balaclava me thinks. Little shites.

Time for the boiler suit and balaclava me thinks. Little shites.
Green food dye on their noggin.
If your caught and end up in court,
and can't afford legals that can fabricate a defence,
it won't look like anything was done by then anyway.

If you take a knife out with you it can & will be used. There has to be a deterrent. Years ago, there were razor gangs in Glasgow who ran unchecked until one judge started handing out long custodial sentences & I mean years, for possessing them. After the first few sentences it basically stopped. Caught with a knife, prison, no ifs or buts.
Up here under Queen Nicola if you so much as slap your child you will be prosecuted. Then what happens, you will not have access to the child & probably they will be taken into care. Reading what went on in years gone by with kids in care (Savill, nuns, priests etc) getting a slap which you probably deserved would be my option. Another law that has not been thought through.

Where to draw the line, though.

Is there anyone on here who would have stood by and done nothing to help this lady?

I'm sorry, but the UK is finished. The police are too interested - that is to say directed - in "thought crimes".
That is disgusting to see and read poor Ida.
No doubt she is someones cherished mother or even grandmother.
I feel sorry for her , but being one of our finest generation she is obviously a tough old bird, resiliant, & survived to live another day.

I cannot help but compare this to life here in the USA .
Many Grannies are packing a Berreta or a Sig Sauer.
Often known as the "Bingo and Beretta" crowd.
So try taking their mobility scooter and it will be a few shots of 9mm hollow points to spoil some assailants' day!

My missus is a 56 yrs old Granny, what we would call a bit of a shapely cougar type (ex TWA flight attendant) ....She packs a 9mm Beretta and/or Sig Sauer to the range every Tuesdays for "Ladies Day.!
Tuedays are free range fees and reduced prices for ammo for participating gun toting ladies at the Bristlecone. Training & Self defense for woman is part of the programs available, so is tactical training with AR15's all taught ex female Marines .
This is a popular hang out for one of my nephews a Brit Cop, and his missus, who both like the idea of the "right to bear arms" renting a selection of firearms for a week when visiting the USA .
So for any UK police firearm officionados on these forums here are two of the current lady's favorites this side of the pond, other than the Glock (familar police issue firearm)

The Beretta APX

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
And the Sig :-
Tuercas viejas

That is disgusting to see and read poor Ida.
No doubt she is someones cherished mother or even grandmother.
I feel sorry for her , but being one of our finest generation she is obviously a tough old bird, resiliant, & survived to live another day.

I cannot help but compare this to life here in the USA .
Many Grannies are packing a Berreta or a Sig Sauer.
Often known as the "Bingo and Beretta" crowd.
So try taking their mobility scooter and it will be a few shots of 9mm hollow points to spoil some assailants' day!

My missus is a 56 yrs old Granny, what we would call a bit of a shapely cougar type (ex TWA flight attendant) ....She packs a 9mm Beretta and/or Sig Sauer to the range every Tuesdays for "Ladies Day.!
Tuedays are free range fees and reduced prices for ammo for participating gun toting ladies at the Bristlecone. Training & Self defense for woman is part of the programs available, so is tactical training with AR15's all taught ex female Marines .
This is a popular hang out for one of my nephews a Brit Cop, and his missus, who both like the idea of the "right to bear arms" renting a selection of firearms for a week when visiting the USA .
So for any UK police firearm officionados on these forums here are two of the current lady's favorites this side of the pond, other than the Glock (familar police issue firearm)

The Beretta APX

And the Sig :-
Tuercas viejas
I really miss my pistol shooting here in the UK. Pre lockdown my Dad used to go over to Belgium to shoot a couple of times a month to shoot larger calibre stuff. I keep wistfully looking at the Colt catalogue as they bought back the Combat Elite Government a few years ago, i loved shooting that. That and the Smith & Wesson 629.

I really miss my pistol shooting here in the UK. Pre lockdown my Dad used to go over to Belgium to shoot a couple of times a month to shoot larger calibre stuff. I keep wistfully looking at the Colt catalogue as they bought back the Combat Elite Government a few years ago, i loved shooting that. That and the Smith & Wesson 629.
Oh the big stuff!
Pull one of those out in a potential confrontation, and just the sight of the thing would be enough to scare off any miscreant.
A virtual cannon of a pistol.
A bit big for a "pistol packing 90 year old momma" with one strapped in her thigh holster!! :eek:
As bit of a true Colt story this.
As an apprentice in Gloucester back in 1963 and old guy called Lionel use to do general odd job work in the shop, like taking out waste oil, burn rubbish & boxes etc. An interesting old fellah who came to work in all weathers on a bicycle & was in his 90's & me being close to 16 years old. (It meant he must have been born around 1870)
I asked him curiously one day "Have you always worked here Lionel?
"No kid, I was soldier in the British Army, went in as a bugle boy at 14"
"Got sent to India & Afghanistan".

How was that, I asked?
I got him talking about life serving the Crown, marching columns, doing patrols etc, Then--- "You know kid I owe my life I reckon to a Colt 45".
I was assigned to my commanding officer who has been something in the American Civil War, & he had a Colt 45.
One day we got attacked by the "fuzzy wuzzies" and my commanding officer just on sat on his horse and dropped anyone one of 'em who came close...
Better than the Martinis we were issued with ! As few of us got killed in the attack , but not me, thanks to Colt !

Later I got thinking about the conversation.
A link well into the past because the American Civil War of the mid 1860's & that Colt would have been at least 50 years old!
A testiment to American gun smiths .
Here's your hand cannons & for those on the forum who aren't familiar with Colt products for defense .
Tuercas Viejas

...they bought back the Combat Elite Government a few years ago..

Nah, you want the Springfield Armory 1911 with the 14-round double-stack magazine.... ;)

Boris spouted some time back that now, after Brexit, it was the perfect time to get the Country back together for a better future for us all. So dear Boris, wake up stop spending gargantuan amounts of money on ludicrous egotistical projects like HS2 etc etc, and concentrate on repairing the fabric of our Country. Constant cuts have ruined communities across the U.K. turning some localities into the Wild West.
Way past time for a complete rethink on priorities.

In the US the 13yo may well have been packing,
the van occupants may well have been packing,
a street shoot out with stray bullets could well have been the outcome.

Being pushed off his bike looks polite by comparison.

Sometimes I appreciate being British where a thug can't throw a hundred knives a second in my direction..

If you take a knife out with you it can & will be used. There has to be a deterrent. Years ago, there were razor gangs in Glasgow who ran unchecked until one judge started handing out long custodial sentences & I mean years, for possessing them. After the first few sentences it basically stopped. Caught with a knife, prison, no ifs or buts.
Up here under Queen Nicola if you so much as slap your child you will be prosecuted. Then what happens, you will not have access to the child & probably they will be taken into care. Reading what went on in years gone by with kids in care (Savill, nuns, priests etc) getting a slap which you probably deserved would be my option. Another law that has not been thought through.

If you are caught with a gun in the UK, you face a life sentence.

If anyone remembers the problem of acid attacks a few years ago, they stopped because the rule is; if you get caught in possession of acid in the UK and have no reason for it, you face a life sentence.

We need the same for knives.
Get caught in possession of a knife, you face a life sentence

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom