14 Day limit to return car??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On my car, I had a small plastic repair to the rear bumper, involving bumper off, strip down, prep, respray, machine polish of exhaust tips and reassembly by a great local body shop for something like £350.
I specifically asked for the 'full works' job rather than a partial respray whilst still on the car.
For the price, I'm happy.

As you say, cosmetic issues can be a legitimate reason to reject a car, but it's a matter of scale. For example I rejected a an R56 Cooper S which at 3 months old developed "leopard spots" on the bronze metallic paint that would have required a full bare-metal respray to correct. A single paint defect on a bumper that can be easily rectified is not, imo, of a scale that would warrant rejection and if push came to shove and it went legal I suspect it would be an impossible task to persuade a Judge that it was.

As far as the OP is concerned, I think he has a legitimate complaint and it's reasonable to expect that the bumper be stripped, properly prepared and repainted. If the dealer had properly prepped the new bumper before painting it wouldn't have peeled.

If I understand correctly, there's some ambiguity as to whether the paint issue is indeed affecting the bumper that was repaired prior to delivery?

I.e., the OP knows that one of the bumpers was resprayed, but he is not sure if it's the bumper with the paint defect.

As you say, cosmetic issues can be a legitimate reason to reject a car, but it's a matter of scale. For example I rejected a an R56 Cooper S which at 3 months old developed "leopard spots" on the bronze metallic paint that would have required a full bare-metal respray to correct. A single paint defect on a bumper that can be easily rectified is not, imo, of a scale that would warrant rejection and if push came to shove and it went legal I suspect it would be an impossible task to persuade a Judge that it was.

As far as the OP is concerned, I think he has a legitimate complaint and it's reasonable to expect that the bumper be stripped, properly prepared and repainted. If the dealer had properly prepped the new bumper before painting it wouldn't have peeled.
So my argument is that if I am entitled to a proper professional full respray of the bumper and they refuse I should have a case for rejecting the car.
Once again, I stress this is what I want and I do not want to reject the car. Others have suggested the rest of the bumper will go the same way later and I would have to pick up the cost.

If I understand correctly, there's some ambiguity as to whether the paint issue is indeed affecting the bumper that was repaired prior to delivery?

I.e., the OP knows that one of the bumpers was resprayed, but he is not sure if it's the bumper with the paint defect.
The salesman is still saying he doesn’t know which bumper it was but if they’ve agreed to the work my logic is that it is the affected bumper that they changed.

The salesman is still saying he doesn’t know which bumper it was but if they’ve agreed to the work my logic is that it is the affected bumper that they changed.

Well, someone at the dealer will know which bumper was resprayed... the salesperson can easily find out, unless there's a reason why they won't confirm either way.

So my argument is that if I am entitled to a proper professional full respray of the bumper and they refuse I should have a case for rejecting the car.
Once again, I stress this is what I want and I do not want to reject the car. Others have suggested the rest of the bumper will go the same way later and I would have to pick up the cost.
Being pedantic but who says you are entitled to that? Some people on an Internet forum?

Well, someone at the dealer will know which bumper was resprayed... the salesperson can easily find out, unless there's a reason why they won't confirm either way.
That’s my worry. I think I said before or in another thread that there is a towing hitch in the boot but nowhere obvious to connect it. Someone suggested they may have taken the towing equipment off and that’s why it needed a new bumper and respray but I can’t understand why they wouldn’t just leave it on if that was the case.

Hi
Being pedantic but who says you are entitled to that? Some people on an Internet forum?

General advice which seems to be backed up by CAB and trading standards. it all depends on how you read things I suppose. Also the return for a replacement vehicle that someone mentioned earlier would fit in the same bracket. I must admit to not hearing about that possibility before though.

...Also the return for a replacement vehicle that someone mentioned earlier would fit in the same bracket. I must admit to not hearing about that possibility before though.

Screenshot-20210528-133058-Chrome.jpg

I rejected a 19 reg Audi S3 at a few months old due to paintwork issues. It was an ex demo with 2k miles on and when I got it home, it had loads of scratches where they had been careless getting in and out and other paint issues on bumpers etc. I took it to a bodyshop thinking it would be a quick 'smart' repair and they quoted around £2k for it as it was metallic glacier white and would have needed blending into panels.
The used car manager laughed at me and said what do you expect it's a used car. I got in touch with Audi UK (through the CEO, I can't remember his name at the moment) and they rang me. They told the General Manager to ring me and sort it. He said that they would repair it or I could reject it. I rejected it. They collected it and I got a refund. I wanted my C250d back but they had already sold it so I got the invoice price back.
I've rejected 2 cars, another one recently in lockdown. It's not difficult.
I don't think anybody has said that it's difficult; the issue is what the customer does if the vendor refuses to accept the rejection. Many companies will undertake courses of action that they're not legally required to do simply to keep a customer, to negate negative publicity, goodwill etc etc. That doesn't necessarily set a legal precedent.

My local dealer is Vertu and the dealer I bought from is Lookers. I was told by another Lookers dealer that a repair at my local dealer was possible and he actually said I’m sure they’ll either pick it up and repair or sanction your local dealer to do it and pick up the bill. That suggests to me that the dealership I’m dealing with can do more.
If my understanding is right, then that’s exactly what you’re looking for - for your local dealer to do a full strip and respray at the cost of the supplying dealer. If so then get the ball rolling.

Your supplying dealer will end up meeting the full cost of the work - your local dealer will invoice them as they’re completely separate businesses, they just both happen to be a Mercedes-Benz franchise.

If the supplying dealer is unwilling to fully strip and respray the bumper at their own bodyshop, then I can’t imagine that they would be happy to pay for an unconnected bodyshop to do the same work.

As for your John Lewis and Curry’s analogy I think it’s more like buying a Samsung from either store and getting Samsung to sort out the problem which I believe an email to MB UK may help with but I might be wrong.
Although in this scenario you’re not getting Samsung (Mercedes-Benz UK) to sort the problem out, you’re asking John Lewis (Vertu) to sort the problem out, which was caused by Currys (Lookers).

MB aren't involved in either the sale or resolution. They may ask Lookers to reconsider it’s position but it’s Lookers decision. If they tell MB that a Smart repair is acceptable, then they’ll probably agree.

If you can’t reach an amicable agreement then MB will probably suggest that your return the car. You can’t actually ask for more than that - they’ll put you back in the position you were in beforehand.

If you are otherwise happy with the car it may be easier to get a quote for a full repair and see if you can reach some kind of compromise with the dealer to cover the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom