140 clock light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony238766

Car
1993 MB 300SE
Hi everybody,

On my 140 the clock light has blown & so makes it difficult to read at night. What is it like to replace the said bulb? Dream or nightmare? Thanks all :dk:

I've just replaced a bulb on my w140, the one for the fuel gauge. The clock is the same type of bulb and is easy to replace. The tricky bit is taking the gauge cluster out without damaging it. Once the gauge cluster is out, it is simply a matter of unscrewing the screws that hold the gauge in place then replacing the bulb. To take the gauge cluster out, go to this link;
V12 Uber Alles, Removing The Instrument Cluster in a W140 Mercedes Benz
I used a fork and bent the prongs 90 degrees round which allowed me to get a grip on the ridges in the lip of the gauge cluster. I had to push on the right at the same time as pulling on the left to bring it out straight.
Good luck. I also had to replace the backlight for the temp gauge which meant soldering a new bulb in place. It's even worse if you have to replace the bulb for the temperature control display!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the info & pictures, but you've scared me now, looks like a nightmare! I reckon I'm going to have to book it in for this one!
Cheers
Tony

It really doesn't take long, so long as you get the fork thing right because the trick is to pull on the left at the same time as pushing on the back of the right side. Once it pops out, it is easy to remove the connectors - 4 connectors and because of their shape, they go back in easily. Also, taking the gauges off the housing is a 1 minute job - 3 screws and you are redone. The bulb pulls out easily then. Would make sense to replace all of the bulbs whilst it is out.
If you do get a garage to do it, I'd love to know what they charge, so I can see how much I saved myself (for a change!)

I'll let you know the cost, but it will be a couple of weeks before I do it as the car is going for some bodywork tidying. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom