140 S-Class Grill Parts Number Clarification Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercboiuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
1995 E320 Coupe
Good evening everyone!

I need some clarification on a couple of part numbers for a CL420 grill, and I hoping someone on here may be able to help me out.

My parents' CL requires a new baffle plate for the grill, but Mercedes no longer supply baffle plates only.
Our very own aka$h kindly pointed me towards www.mercedes-benz-parts.co.uk, however they no longer supply single baffle plates either.
They said I can only buy it as part of a full grill with the part number A1408800185.

I've since seen a 140-series grill available on ebay, but with a different part number A1408800085.
The seller mentions it's to suit an S600 or 600SEC.

Both part numbers come back with the simple description of "Radiator Grill".

Could somebody please let me know the difference between these grills?
Would the ebay grill fit my parents' car?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks in advance,

Darren

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply with that website link, vincenz :)

However, that link helps confirm what I said.

On a schematic, both of those part numbers relate to what appears to be identical parts.

On each of the following part schematics, I'm looking at number 8, the whole grill assembly.
S500 Coupe diagram
S600 Coupe diagram

The grill on the S500 Coupe has one part number and the grill for the S600 Coupe has a different number. However, they look identical.

So would a 600 grill fit a 500 or 420 model? :dk:

I hope this explains it a little better :)
Darren

Mercboiuk
It costs mega bucks for a die set to make a bonnet, as to make that it will be around 6 stamping operations. In body in white form (a body shell prior to paint) cars aren't even assigned a colour yet alone a variant, its economies of scale that apply here.

I would eat my hat if the part doesn't fit, the variance in part number may be a finish (ie chrome, shadowline, smaller star etc) rather than how it fits bonnet architecture.

So in answer to your question, yes (most probably) a 600 grille would fit the 500 and 420 as the bonnets will be generic, manufacturers vary their models by trim level, engine, bumpers etc. Parts that are easy to re-tool rather than items like body geometry.

If I were you i'd take a punt on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom