-15 and now nothing works! (W220)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

I stay on the outskirts of Aberdeen and it has been so cold the last two days (-15 in some cases). Since then the central locking has stopped working, the soft closure doors are not working and the boot (trunk) release won't open. The boot won't even open manually as it feels locked.
Can anyone tell me if all of these faults are related could this just be down to the cold or does it sound like some fuses have gone. I think the fuse for the central locking is under the rear seat so any advice on how you get the rear seat out would be appreciated

Cheers

While -15 is damn cold I admit, its nothing when compared to north Scandinavia and Canada/Alaska where -25 is common. And I would guess cars there still function as they should.
So I would guess its something other than temperature related.
But that is just a guess. I would ask other owners of similar vehicles in your immediate vicinity whether they have experienced similar problems, and then go from there with that knowledge.
It can sometimes be very difficult to pin down a fault to a specific reason.

I stay on the outskirts of Aberdeen and it has been so cold the last two days (-15 in some cases). Since then the central locking has stopped working, the soft closure doors are not working and the boot (trunk) release won't open. The boot won't even open manually as it feels locked.
Can anyone tell me if all of these faults are related could this just be down to the cold or does it sound like some fuses have gone. I think the fuse for the central locking is under the rear seat so any advice on how you get the rear seat out would be appreciated

Cheers

sounds like a fuse to me.... have a look in the handbook where the main fusebox is. i doubt its under the seats... :crazy:

Can you get into the car to start it? -15C will finish off any battery that's on its last legs anyway. Does your car have the 2 batteries setup? One under the bonnet for the starter motor and one under the rear seat/in the boot for the rest of the electronics?

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the W220 but aren't those things that don't work now all operated by the same device under the rear seat?

Isn't there a door at the front of the rear seat where you can access the fuse box without removing the seat (just remember something like this, I have never opened the fuse box on this model).

I think the fuse for the central locking is under the rear seat so any advice on how you get the rear seat out would be appreciated

Cheers

The W220 does have two fuse boxes, one under the hood and one under rear seats, BUT you do not need to remove the seat bench.

The rear fuse box is located behind the rear passenger footwell light (driver's side). Just pull the light lense out and you'll see the fuses and relays behind it.

EDIT:
Looks like Diesel Benz beat me to it. :)

Duplicate post

Last edited:
While -15 is damn cold I admit, its nothing when compared to north Scandinavia and Canada/Alaska where -25 is common. And I would guess cars there still function as they should.

Not so sure about that - colleague lives in Finland and he used to have a Land Rover and wanted to have central locking fitted but I clearly remember him saying that you can't just fit "ordinary" central locking systems to cars in Finland.

well I got in to the rear fuse box and found the problem (a broken fuse which controls the boot release, central locking and the rear head rests)
All you have to do is pull away the cover below the rear seat and you have access)
I'll put a new one in tomorrow and see what happens. There was no sign of damp/water damage so I've no idea at this point. I'll post up the fault if I find out what it was
Thanks for the replys

this is a common problem on the w220.it is the yellow 20amp fuse under the seat that always goes during any kind of frost.i go through a fuse every day here in glasgow during really cold spells,as does 2 mates with the w220 who live local....never happens when there is no frost.

The W220 does have two fuse boxes, one under the hood and one under rear seats, BUT you do not need to remove the seat bench.

I notice the solution to the OP's problem has already been provided, but I'd like to add a small correction: there are 3 fuse boxes: two under the bonnet (one left, one right) and one under the rear seat. :)

I notice the solution to the OP's problem has already been provided, but I'd like to add a small correction: there are 3 fuse boxes: two under the bonnet (one left, one right) and one under the rear seat. :)

Yes quite right, I forgot about the second one under the bonnet.
Well spotted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom