15 cracked alloys in 18 months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rustico7

Car
E220d AMG premium plus
i Wonder if anyone can help o has the same issue.

I have a 2017 E220d AMG premium. When i bought it i opted to go for the 20" alloys. What a istake that turned out to be. In the last 18 months i have smashed/cracked 15 alloys. Yes 15, one five. Mercedes say its wear and tear. They also claim its potholes. It is in just now as the 2 rear alloys have cracked but the front are perfectly fine. Surely if it was down to potholes the front would go first as they would take the full impact. Typically mercedes in aberdeen turn a blind eye and take my moey every month for a new one

Trade them for a set of 5 spoke amg 18's better ride, more comfortable, look good, stronger, last longer.
20's on an E 220 why?

Trade them for a set of 5 spoke amg 18's better ride, more comfortable, look good, stronger, last longer.
Thanks. I've traded them in for a new X5 45e BWM haha.

Its just frustrating that every month another week breaks. One had a 9 inch split about 5mm wide. they should be banned from manufacture

Blimey! Are you paying for these yourself, or is it a company car?

Unless there is something strange about your use of the car then surely the wheels are not of satisfactory quality. In the meantime I'd whack the tyre pressure up to max.

Odd post, at 9.38 you're asking for help, 9 minutes later you've managed to swop it for an X5 - that must rank as the quickest p-ex ever.

I’m guessing he’s done the deal but yet to collect the X5?

So the OP has been spending up to £1k a month on replacing cracked alloys? 20" OEM alloys aren't cheap.:doh:

Is a pothole like a crackhouse?

He kept on doing 50 mph , here .

pothole-damage-new-technology-945059.jpg

BMWs never suffer from cracked rims, so the OP has made the right move.

A quick Google search turned up this 30 page thread :)
Cracked BMW Alloy Wheels --- Taking legal action

I think there are loads of people coming off steel rims (that they are used to abusing) and do not appreciate that alloys will crack if not treated with respect. (PCP and so many new cars on the road with "sport" models on low profile tyres on alloys). Take a look around when you are out and observe how people drive up onto kerbs, drive straight through potholes etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick Google search turned up this 30 page thread :)
Cracked BMW Alloy Wheels --- Taking legal action

I think there are loads of people coming off steel rims (that they are used to abusing) and do not appreciate that alloys will crack if not treated with respect. (PCP and so many new cars on the road with "sport" models on low profile tyres on alloys). Take a look around when you are out and observe how people drive up onto kerbs, drive straight through potholes etc.
I think it was a deliberately tongue in cheek comment, BMW have a reputation for it.

Interestingly on my B class I cracked the alloys about 10 times, had them repaired and in the end changed them for non oem wheels, They didn't crack once in the 4 years I had them. That was only 17" wheels though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom