16 inch steel wheels for C Class W204 (facelift)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldfish11

Car
C220 CDI (09/11 - Facelift) & SLK200
I am just having a discussion with a number of parts departments and seem to be getting a mixed message about getting a set of steel wheels (which will be used with snow tyres for a W204) Some say they are available others say they are not, some say they can supply something to fit but they are not designed for the W204 etc etc.

Can anyone give me the facts.

Firstly the alloys fitted have 205/55 x 16 tyres on a 7J X 16 X H2 ET 43

I therefore need some steel wheels with exactly the same size i.e. 7J X 16 X H2 ET 43

Also can I use the standard wheel bolts supplied with the vehicle (for the alloys) with the steel wheels or do you need to purchase a complete new set of wheel nuts? (I know on some MBs the bolts can be used on both alloy and steel.

I will also need a half decent set of Wheel trims that dont cost the earth. It seems the MB wheel trims could cost more than the steel wheels :rolleyes:

Can anyone give me part numbers for the rims, trims and wheel nuts (if required)?

I need to ensure everything is specified properly to ensure there are no insurance company issues when I fit them.

I think you may find it easier and cheaper just to find a set of alloys.

The steel wheels will not take the same tyres most likely.

I'm struggling to work out why are you are demanding steel wheels with trims when a set of identical (scruffy?) alloys might work out easier and cheaper.

I can see why the parts dept are struggling though as there is only one wheel which appears to be a steel on the wheels page of the EPC and it's a "folding spare" whatever that is! There is a trim on the next page though so a steel must be available.

Also you will find that the steel wheels require a different length of wheel bolt.

I think you may find it easier and cheaper just to find a set of alloys.

The steel wheels will not take the same tyres most likely.

I only seem to be able to find new alloys and these are £630 a set.

I had a quote from one parts dept for steels at £27 plus VAT each. This is affordable, hence me looking at this option however the trims were £38 plus VAT each.

I can get my tyres changed over for £20 for the set i.e £40 per year So return on investment less than 1 year with the steels. Hence my seemingly strange request. At £600 I am better off just paying for the change over to winters and summers.

But as you mention if I then need different tyre, sizes, new bolts etc etc it may not be cost effective.

If anyone can point me to a good source for a cheap set of MB alloys that fit the specification perfectly that would be great. I do worry about buying alloys off ebay however.

Mytyres offer a steel wheel+tyre service for your car. Kompletträder: Stahlfelgen mit Winterreifen - ReifenDirekt.de

edit that link comes up in GERMAN FOR SOME REASON go to their British page and select complete wheels from the left hand menu.then steel wheels with winter tyres they are a reputable German based internet company so are geared up for the German regulations.

PPS its also rumoured that W203 steel wheels will fit - there's a slight different offset but not significant according to that source. You could try looking for some in breakers yard- but try one for size /offset/ bolt compatibility before you buy

Last edited:
I very much doubt any wheel priced at £27 will be correct for the car!

The collapsible spare steel uses a tyre that you inflate with a supplied pump... designed to take up less space in the boot.. Not something you could put winter tyres on.

thats ridiculously cheap if its correct!

15 inch steel Winter rims for a Toyota IQ were £25 plus VAT when I bought a set a year or so ago. I know these are not Mercedes but steels do seem to be around this price.

I am trying to get some part numbers out of the dealership who says they can supply. I will update you if I get anything.

Winter Tyres / Wheels

Did anybody come up with a definitive answer for the 204 220CDi Elegance steel wheels / winter tyres, etc?

FRom what I can find out, MB are offering compatible steel wheels and Dunlop winter tyres for this car at around £621 incl VAT. Trims are extra, probably about £200. With alloys the cost is about £800.

I'm getting mixed messages about the correct steel wheels, though. I was offered 6J x 16 ET39 steels for £32.40 ea +VAT, which is the min width for 205 x 55 tyres, whereas the standard alloys are 7Js. Others say that the cost is £56 per wheel, which is what I payed for a steel wheel (a 7J)for my 203 a few years ago, but I'm not sure of the width. Yet another has said that the only steel wheel available is the space saver.

Hope this is not as confused as I am now, but it would be great if somebody has an answer that could be trusted!

Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom