16 inch W211 wheels/tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Watchcame430

MB Enthusiast
Car
Previous 1994 SL500, 2001 W210 E430 and 2003 Designo S500 Current 2005 S211 E270
I bought a 2005 E270 estate last week.
It has full Mercedes history and well looked after but unfortunately the tyres were changed for some ditch finders before the sale to me.
It sits on 16 inch 13 hole wheels and they are straight but probably only 6 out of 10 for condition so i am considering changing them also.

Was surprised to find 16 inch tyres cost more than 17’s.
Debating changing wheels and tyres to 17’s but wouldnt want to lose ride comfort.
Also I quite like being 100% as factory so may refurb the 16’s and bite the bullet on pricier tyres.

Does anyone have advice or experienc in running 17’s versus 16’s?

Thanks

I changed my 16s to 17s (both OEM Mercedes wheels) on my S211 E220. I did c. 10k miles on the 16s, and have done 15k miles on the 17s since the swap.

My 16s had worn, budget tyres, and I fitted new, premium tyres to the 17s. I struggle to tell any difference in ride comfort, so would suggest you have no worry in that area at all. There is still plenty of side wall on the 17" tyres, not like the rubber band tyres you see on more modern cars.

Martin.

I run 17 wheels on both cars in the summer and swap both over to winter tyres with 16’s .
I would describe 17’s as comfortable but 16’s as more comfortable with a lot more pothole protection for the wheel with the deeper side walls .
You say 16 cost more , they don’t usually, maybe it’s a Covid supply line problem still ??

I changed the on my CLK from 17 to 16inch. Ride comfort is about the same. 16inch tyres are much cheaper and last longer and less likely to aquaplane in the wet when about 1/2 worn.

I changed my 16s to 17s (both OEM Mercedes wheels) on my S211 E220. I did c. 10k miles on the 16s, and have done 15k miles on the 17s since the swap.

My 16s had worn, budget tyres, and I fitted new, premium tyres to the 17s. I struggle to tell any difference in ride comfort, so would suggest you have no worry in that area at all. There is still plenty of side wall on the 17" tyres, not like the rubber band tyres you see on more modern cars.

Martin.
This is great news. Thank you. Give me options.
If I can find some nice genuine Mercedes 17’s will swap to them and get some new tyres. Hard to find nice standard wheels though.

I changed the on my CLK from 17 to 16inch. Ride comfort is about the same. 16inch tyres are much cheaper and last longer and less likely to aquaplane in the wet when about 1/2 worn.
I was finding 17” tyres cheaper. I.e Pirelli £140 for 16”, £105 for 17”. The 17” are p zero too. Same ratings etc

I run 17 wheels on both cars in the summer and swap both over to winter tyres with 16’s .
I would describe 17’s as comfortable but 16’s as more comfortable with a lot more pothole protection for the wheel with the deeper side walls .
You say 16 cost more , they don’t usually, maybe it’s a Covid supply line problem still ??
Thanks for the feedback. As long as still comfortable I will be happy.
It’s a nice to have .. if I find mint 16” alloys for sale will stick to them.
17’s are cheaper on black circles. £105 (17”) versus £140 (16”) for Pirelli.
Ideal would like original wheels it came from factory. (16”) will see what I can find.

I was finding 17” tyres cheaper. I.e Pirelli £140 for 16”, £105 for 17”. The 17” are p zero too. Same ratings etc
In October 2018 I got 4 tyres from Black Circle, Goodyear Efficient Performance Grip.
The job sheet has no £££ cost. 205 55 16 tyres are a very common size, unit numbers so are cheap.
At the time I did compare the cost of 17 and 16inch tyres were around 30% cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom