16'' or 17'' wheels for w202 1999 SW

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alesantana

Car
C 250 TD ESTATE
16'' or 17'' wheels for w202 1999 Estate

Hi all!

I have a big question :rolleyes: : What will be better, 16'' or 17'' wheels, for a W202 (1999 250 Td Estate Elegance all original, less shocks: from Sport)?

Thanks.

AleSantana

Last edited:
Hi AleSantana,
If you can afford 17" go for it, I've got 17" on my C180 Sport estate with 225/45/17 and it looks pukka! (17x7.5 ET35) fills the arches up luuuuuuvly!
Boycie. :cool:

Thanks Boycie: What about confort? How do they feel?

AleSantana

I agree with Boycie, 17"s would look much better! Ive got 18"s on my sport and to be honest they don't fill the arch like I want... but then again im a perfectionist. My 18" are split rims which make the wheel look slightly smaller too. I would love to try 19" but apart from the looks, everything else is a real bad down side... much more expensive... harsher ride comfort... and they tramline like crazy.

I am also 100% perfectionist, that is why I want to know your opinion about the ride I will be getting whith 17"s. I know 16"s are the best compromise for my car, but I like the looks of 17"s. Probably it will not make a big diference since I usually drive very nice roads.

Not much visiual difference between 16/17" - I used to have some lovely 16" alloys with low profile tyres on my car (with sports suspension) and they filled the arches nicely. People often thought that they were 17" (including techncian at a MB stelaership) who had to go out on a test drive with me. If u got sports lowered suspension then u can easily get away with some 16".

Flash

Look in my gallery page without reading the list of mods and tell me if my wheels are 15,16 or 17 inch just by looking.

Flash said:
Not much visiual difference between 16/17" - I used to have some lovely 16" alloys with low profile tyres on my car (with sports suspension) and they filled the arches nicely. People often thought that they were 17" (including techncian at a MB stelaership) who had to go out on a test drive with me. If u got sports lowered suspension then u can easily get away with some 16".

Flash

I've just installed H&R with Koni, and the ride confort has been compromized qute a lot with 16". Probably if stock or at least MB sport suspension 17" are still acceptable.

Please what tyre brand you suggest, as far as low profile tyres (I've 205-55 R16). Also, some tyre manufacturer may be larger (tyre print) than other: normally Michelen and Pirella are narrower that other brand.
:)

Hi,

When I had my 16” MB Electra alloy wheels I Had Pirelli 225/50 R16 92V (factory sports suspension and the ride was great – 225/50 R16 should also fit your alloys – my alloys were factory ordered and I paid extra to have 225/50s at the front as well (where the dealer fitted option only offered 205/55 for the front). Ride was good. Michelin are very good to (but I am now used to the Pirellis). My sister has Pirellis on her car too and ride is fine (225/50 R16).

Flash

Dear Flash,

unfortunately my car documentation state only 195/65-15 or 205/60-15 and as last one the 205/55-16 that I've swapped one year ago on MB replica (6 spoke S style).

I've asked to Daimler-Crysler Italia about possibility to install 17" and they said me that is not possible, only if factory installed, I need a formal Car Manufacturer State of Compliance in order to up-date vehicle documentation here in Italy.

As said, having sport suspension set up, 16" are quite good for me.

I'm looking for new set ofPirelli or Continental tyres, still wondering, tyre shop said me that Continental shoulder is softer than Pirelli, Bridgestone,... Is it true? Mah

Thanks for your reply

18" :devil:

No seriously though if your budget will allow go for the 17's

I had 15" on mine originally, upgraded to 16", but still wasn't happy, so ended up with 17" AMGs eventually. Had I kept the car, I would probably have changed to 18" - just a question of how much you value the ride quality .... probably best to stop at 17" if you want to retain any degree of comfort !

S.

Yes, the ride quality is very important considering that the car is a estate and my wife likes to be comfortable :eek: . What diference will 17" make on the ride confort?

Thanks to all for your opinios.

alesantana said:
What diference will 17" make on the ride confort?
It will make it a little harder, but then you will have more precise steering and the car might look fractionally better. S'up to you in the end. My car felt no different on 17" wheels compared to the 16".

Shude said:
It will make it a little harder, but then you will have more precise steering and the car might look fractionally better. S'up to you in the end. My car felt no different on 17" wheels compared to the 16".

Shude do you run actually on 16" isn't it?

On your old W202 you were running on 17"? Is it? :rolleyes:

Hi

1998K said:
Shude do you run actually on 16" isn't it?
I am currently using standard 16" sport wheels with winter tyres.
1998K said:
On your old W202 you were running on 17"? Is it? :rolleyes:
On my previous W202 I initially had the same 16" sport wheels then changed to 17" AMG wheels with a wider wheel and tyre in the rear.

I intend to use some 18" AMGs on my current car during the summer.

Shude said:
I am currently using standard 16" sport wheels with winter tyres.

On my previous W202 I initially had the same 16" sport wheels then changed to 17" AMG wheels with a wider wheel and tyre in the rear.

I intend to use some 18" AMGs on my current car during the summer.

Did you destroy also the 17" AMG wheels on your geen W202? :(

Wow 18", quite impressive. Do you run on factory sport suspension? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom