160mph speedo change to 200mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

por997s

I have 03' E55 that came with the 160mph speedometer...i've seen couple of 05-06 model with 200mph speedometer..i was wondering where i could get it...i went to a dealer and ask the part guy and he said it cant be done..
nixweiss.gif
any help? thanks...

I have a 2001 E55 AMG with 160mph speedo :( i want to change it to 180mph tryed the dealer they said they don't do it i gave up really. it's stupid they do a c32 amg with 180mph speedo and put a 160 on an e55 amg with a 5.5 v8 engine:crazy:

Kleemann, Carlsson and Brabus make them though, don't they?

i think they are quoting $3k, must be a cheaper way. buy a gps road angel

why do you need a speedo that reads 200mph when your car doesn't go that fast?

Who are you trying to impress?

Or is that just me asking stupid questions

Andy

I have 03' E55 that came with the 160mph speedometer...i've seen couple of 05-06 model with 200mph speedometer..i was wondering where i could get it...i went to a dealer and ask the part guy and he said it cant be done..
nixweiss.gif
any help? thanks...
You need to write down the VIN for a vehicle you have seen the instrument cluster on and then order the part using that VIN. MAKE SURE that the item is factory and not aftermarket otherwise you just bought the standard instrument cluster @ £500ish for nothing and they don't like refunding for parts correctly delivered ;)

Andy

I was wondering the same Question......

Why would anyone want to do anything?

Leave the man alone and let him contemplate his mods with some dignity!

He might want to have the limiter removed sometime in the near future so he can try some high-speed runs at Brunters or the autobahn but would like to know how fast he's going, who knows? :)

Isn't it a special order part provided by AMG, when they delimit the car ? After all 200mph is fine - but then so is 160mph if you are limited to 155....

The car has had a pulley upgrade, limiter removed, k&n air filters, sprint booster and ecu upgrade. The speedo stops at 160mph, need to have a speedo that reads 200mph.

also, if I wanted a lecture from some of you, I would have asked my mother where could I find a 200mph speedo. Thanks for you concern though.

also, if I wanted a lecture from some of you, I would have asked my mother where could I find a 200mph speedo. Thanks for you concern though.

Not needed - not a way to get help.

Be that as it may, I believe you'll have to get a new instrument binacle. I'm sure if you email AMG - address is on their website, they'll be able to advise you where to get it, or the part number (give them your VIN). Additionally they'll probably tell you it needs to be coded for the car as well - mileage etc.

Hope that helps.

Andy

I was led to believe that we don't need a speedo that goes past 70 MPH if my memory of another thread serves me right -

Wait for it , Wait for it - track day ?

Dealer should have no problem ordering a 200mph cluster for your car i am looking at the cluster on EPC now readily available.

No need to complicate it with VIN's or trying to get a hold of somebody useful at AMG (The people you need to speak to are all on the phone they just don't like to answer) the cluster is not classed theft relevant so the VIN is irrelevant.

Pop into the dealer get them to pull up the E55 then search for the right cluster using the year of modification.

Thank you for all your replies, but just one thing. The digital read out also stops at 160mph even though the car keeps on going.

When the 155 limiter is 'officially' removed maybe this allows the digital speedo to read higher as well? Just guessing here to be honest.

Yeah sounds like a coding issue to me but then it could be a hard coded command in the software not everything can be changed with DAS and the cluster might be fixed to 160 as its max.

When AMG do the removal they could flash a new software load onto it or if they fit 200 units instead then my guess would be the correct software is preinstalled on them.

If it is of any help Re E55 W210 just sold. The dot matrix time display partly failed and because they can't replace that part (so said the dealer) the whole AMG branded cluster was replaced and all information transferred under MB extended warranty. I was told by the dealer the cluster alone cost £1000.

I was told by the dealer the cluster alone cost £1000.
I bought a W208 CLK55 AMG cluster from the parts dept a couple of years ago and it was £350 inclusive with a small discount. I sometimes think stealership employees just make up the prices on the spot... and then double them ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom