17inch tyre set up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnlewis1964

Car
2008 C180 Kompressor.
Hi folks what tyre set up is best for 17s on a c180 08 w204 thanks.

If its a staggered set up, 225x45x17 front,245x40x17 rear
Same width alloys front and rear, use 225x45x17 all round.

I was thinking of swapping 18s for 17s, as a pothole has seen to one wheel already.

How is the ride quality on 17 vs 18?

Can't comment on 17's v 18's, but 17's v 16's is what I've experienced on my S204 C220, and between the change in tyre size and the change from Contisports to Goodyear Eagle f1 Assymmetrics it transformed the car from noisy to quiet, from a bit wallowy to more precise, but did not mess up the ride quality - SWMBO is more than happy with the ride whether passenger or driver. IMHO you would not regret swopping form 18's to 17's as the ride quality I would expect to improve without sacrificing much of the feel, so both you and your passenger will be happier. However, as I have found changing from Contis to Goodyears on the S204, and changing the front 17's on the SLK from Hankooks to Michelin Cross Climates, tyre choice is also a major factor!

Hi,,just bought a E Class Coupe.2.0 litre Diesel.It has run flat tyres..Are they expensive to buy..Thanks.

I was thinking of swapping 18s for 17s, as a pothole has seen to one wheel already.

I had 18's with summer tyres on my S204 and 17's with winters for the cold weather. Noticeably better (I almost used to look forward to winter!), although of course it was a change in wheel size as well as tyre type. Nevertheless, I think the deeper sidewall on the smaller wheel is a big factor, and will definitely help with the potholes. If it is of interest, I have my set of Mercedes original 17 inch alloys with MO Dunlop winters that I keep meaning to put up for sale. 17 inch tyres will be cheaper as well when the time comes to replace them.

Hi,,just bought a E Class Coupe.2.0 litre Diesel.It has run flat tyres..Are they expensive to buy..Thanks.

Why do you not just look online for the relevant tyre prices rather than expect someone else to look for you?

Only you know what you consider to be expensive, to some people £90 is expensive for tyres, to others it would be £150!

A couple of other points :
1. The 17's on my car are staggered, so I have 225/45 on the front and 245/40 on the rears - and my SLK has exactly the same! All my wheels are genuine MB, not aftermarket.
2. If you're considering all season tyres, then the staggered setup gives a problem, I have Michelin Crossclimates on the front but cannot ATM find 245/40's for the rears. Michelin used to produce Crossclimates in this size but have discontinued them, and the replacement all season tyre in this size is currently only available in USA and will not be available to UK market until next winter.

A couple of other points :
1. The 17's on my car are staggered, so I have 225/45 on the front and 245/40 on the rears - and my SLK has exactly the same! All my wheels are genuine MB, not aftermarket.
2. If you're considering all season tyres, then the staggered setup gives a problem, I have Michelin Crossclimates on the front but cannot ATM find 245/40's for the rears. Michelin used to produce Crossclimates in this size but have discontinued them, and the replacement all season tyre in this size is currently only available in USA and will not be available to UK market until next winter.
Interesting. My 17's (also genuine MB) are the same all round, on 225/45's.

Interesting. My 17's (also genuine MB) are the same all round, on 225/45's.
That is quite common.

It was a factory option to have a staggered set up but was often standard on the more powerful versions. If you look in your handbook it should list the sizes of wheels and tyres available for fitment.

The S204 17's are not original fitment, she came on normal 16" Elegance wheels, I bought the 17's second hand and had them refurbed. IIRC the fronts are 7 1/2J and the rears 8J. However, the 17's on the SLK are original fitment and were an optional extra on the R171. I'm told I could fit 225/45 to the 8J rims, but I quite like the additional rubber on the road for the driven wheels!

Why do you not just look online for the relevant tyre prices rather than expect someone else to look for you?

Only you know what you consider to be expensive, to some people £90 is expensive for tyres, to others it would be £150!
What is it with this site..Always a pri#k with a smart pus#y boy comment..If you haven't got any input say nothing.

There isn't a big difference in price between run flats and traditional tyres. If you are replacing all 4 I'd change from run flats for the extra comfort. Run flats tend to have quite stiff sidewalls.

No idea on your wheel size, so I'd suggest looking on sites like Camskill/Black Circles/Openeo with a note of your tyre sizes and do a comparison.

Cheap Tyres Discount Tyres Buy Tyres Online

Blackcircles.com - Click & Fit Tyres

Tyre shop online » FREE DELIVERY » Oponeo.co.uk

Many thanks mate.Much appreciated.

What is it with this site..Always a pri#k with a smart pus#y boy comment..If you haven't got any input say nothing.

Oh dear, toys out of pram!

Why is it there is so often a lazy and arrogant "member" who can clearly use a computer yet will put up a meaningless post without any thought what so ever and expect others to put in the effort for them?

Try to think about what you asked : You did not state the size or manufacturer of the tyre , neither did you suggest any parameter that could be used to judge if such a tyre may be considered expensive.

You just asked "are they expensive to buy " What possible meaningful response where you expecting with such a poorly laid out question?

It was just a completely pointless and stupid post from another keyboard warrior to damned lazy to type their own question into a search engine

I always go for Goodyear Eagle F1s these days. Have/tried conti, Vredestein, Dunlop.Sport Maxx RT, Pilot Sport 4, plus others that are quite frankly not as good. All about the same price, except Pirelli, which is expensive.
The Goodyear and Sport Maxx have been the most comfortable. But Eagles always nearly top performance charts, so favour them.
Vredestein best for 'feel' apparently, due to.stiffer side wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom