18" AMGs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philsy2k

Car
C36 AMG
Hello all, this question is mainly aimed at alps because he has a similar set up, i just want to know if your wheels rub on the plastic inner wheel arches because mine do, they rub on the front wheel arches (when turning) near where the cold air feed is for the brakes and on the back (when going round a left bend quickish) where the inner plastic cover goes round the fuel filler neck.
My wheels are the 8.5 wide ones all round with 235/40/ on the front and 255/35 on the rear.
I have cut a bit of the plastic away but it still does it a bit, when the front tyres go will change them to 225/40s but i believed the back was the correct profile.
Any help much appreciated
Cheers

I agree with K., I'm certainly no expert when it comes to wheels and tyres but just going from what I've read on this forum, most W202 C Class owners tend to fit 225's up front with 245's on the rear.

Heh best pm Wheelie for expert opinions though ;)

S.

wheels

Cheers, i thought they were to wide on the front, its funny about the back though because ALPS has 265s on?

Re: wheels

Originally posted by philsy2k
Cheers, i thought they were to wide on the front, its funny about the back though because ALPS has 265s on?
Alps has an AMG C36, doesn't that have slightly rolled arches?

*EDIT* Reading Shude's following post maybe not, however Alps did say he did have his own arches changed... 'had to do minor adjustment(bending) on the rear arch'

S.

Last edited:
Hi philsy

your tyres are your problem! i do still have 265 on the rear, but this was due to me getting the tyres cheap! Ideally you should have 225.40 on the front and 255/35 on the back.

before lowering my car i had no rubbing at all! but since i have lowered the beast and changed to lower pads (decked it!) i do gett a little rub when doing sharp turns on the front, although, the back is still fine even when the car is fully loaded! about 2" of the actual rim submerge under the arch!

if you look at the side where the rubbing is happening you may see bits of rubber where it is rubbing, if its the front then, get a rubber mallet(and a piece of wood for the outside) hold the wood against the front wing, and gently tap the ridge until it folds back.

the paint can crack at the edges, but this can be touched up with a touch up pen.

the rear is easier to bend than the back!

see how you get on, and if you need a help give me a shout and i`ll try and help where i can!

Originally posted by Alps
if you look at the side where the rubbing is happening you may see bits of rubber where it is rubbing, if its the front then, get a rubber mallet(and a piece of wood for the outside) hold the wood against the front wing, and gently tap the ridge until it folds back.

the paint can crack at the edges, but this can be touched up with a touch up pen.
Whoa! Attempt with caution! You might want to soften the metal and the paint with a hairdryer or something to avoid the cracking! If you don't feel up to it a bodyshop could do it for you! :)

i 2nd the ATTEMPT with caution bit

, if you arent confident get the arches rolled at a place like extreme or elites, but its not too hard to do as long as your carefull, try a little at a time

wheels

Mine is also a C36 and the wheels dont rub on the outside its the inner edge of the wheel rubbing against the the shocker area (on the back) , Alps have you got the wider rim on the back (9.5)? i believe they are a different offset to the 8.5. mine are the same as the front 8.5 so i was guessing that the offset might take the wheel that little bit further away from the car so it didnt rub, just guessing, i was thinking of trying a spacer a couple of mm thick.
Thanks for all your help so far guys.

Phil,

mine are the E55 rims so wider on the back, after taking the rim off, i have noticed it has rubbed a little on the inside, but i have given it some hammering with a full load which led to that!

if you have the correct offset, you should have absolutely no rubbing with your setup.

if in doubt, ring Raj or Alan up at A&S Wheels and ask them, he knows my setup inside out and wioll advse you whats best or where you are going wrong. No plug, but they have every Merc rim in stock and they fit them day in day out!

let me know how you get on

thanks

That was the answer i was looking for thanks again;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom