18" CLK wheels -To buy or not to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave_Bax

Car
CLK320
Guys looking for an opinion here.

I have just purchased a CLK320 2003 and i need two new rear tyres, roughly about £150 cost wise, bear with me.

Now with my 'blokes' logic, I'm thinking maybe now is the time to upgrade to 18" wheels and tyres, it would cost me roughly £950 but i could sell my exisiting wheels and tyres for say £200 ish plus the £150 i would have to spend anyway (for the 2 tyres), means I would be spending an extra £600 for new rims. See told ya blokes logic :confused:.

I was looking at these of eBay...eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
With some Falken Z912's fitted (225/40 front and 245/45 rears), after reading a few threads they seem a resonable tyre for the price, i know we all have our own opinions and experiances on tyres and tyre brands so i don't want to open a discussion on that here.

My question is .......
Shopuld I go for it and get 4 new wheels and tyres or just stick with the standard 16's and get two new tyres? :dk:

Those rims aren't staggered sizes, so I don't know how having differing widths of tyre would affect them, if the larger tyres would even fit?
Maybe someone could add some more input?

Guys looking for an opinion here.

I have just purchased a CLK320 2003 and i need two new rear tyres, roughly about £150 cost wise, bear with me.

Now with my 'blokes' logic, I'm thinking maybe now is the time to upgrade to 18" wheels and tyres, it would cost me roughly £950 but i could sell my exisiting wheels and tyres for say £200 ish plus the £150 i would have to spend anyway (for the 2 tyres), means I would be spending an extra £600 for new rims. See told ya blokes logic :confused:.

I was looking at these of eBay...eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
With some Falken Z912's fitted (225/40 front and 245/45 rears), after reading a few threads they seem a resonable tyre for the price, i know we all have our own opinions and experiances on tyres and tyre brands so i don't want to open a discussion on that here.

My question is .......
Shopuld I go for it and get 4 new wheels and tyres or just stick with the standard 16's and get two new tyres? :dk:

The rear tyres have too great an aspect ratio. They would need to be, 245/30 or 35. Or else, keep all tyres the same (best).

One thing about buying replica wheels, check the weight compared to the original, some are a lot heavier and compromise braking, handling and ride quality. Nothing wrong with reps just ensure the weight is as close to genuine as possible.

Instead of those replicas search ebay for genuine wheels likes Mercedes Benz AMG 18 Inch Alloys CLK C E Class | eBay you might spot some you like at a good price.

Did exactly that NPUK and picked up some 18" AMG rims with tyres today. I think the 18" rims set off the CLK very nicely.

Thanks for all the pointers guys, i'm really enjoying this forum as a newbie there is some great advice offered. :thumb:

Get some pictures up then!!!! Let's be 'avin ya!! :D

As well as pics, comments about the difference in ride quality would be interesting. My S203 is on 16's (and FK452's) and is a bit wallowy, from what I've read on here and t'other side 17's would be OK but 18's would make the ride firm and harsh - which would inevitably lead to earache from the passenger seat (aka SWMBO!).

As well as pics, comments about the difference in ride quality would be interesting. My S203 is on 16's (and FK452's) and is a bit wallowy, from what I've read on here and t'other side 17's would be OK but 18's would make the ride firm and harsh - which would inevitably lead to earache from the passenger seat (aka SWMBO!).

my clk200 sport has 18,s fitted and the ride is great, a vast improvement over my old is200 on 17,s.

Ok got the wheels on this weekend, straight forward swap no problems:D.

The tyres were low on pressure so nipped to the garage to pump the up but one of the fronts werent holding air, nipped to local tyre outlet and the tyre wall was brittle and worn also the other front was unevenly worn.......so 2 new tyres later :eek: and im off. The rears are ok thank god, only half worn, so have some life left.

As for the ride it is.....firmer, than it was with the 16's on, but it is by no means uncomfortable.

You do feel the road more and some bumps / jolts feel sharper. You can also feel the extra width as the steering feels every so slightly heavier, it all feels a liitle more sporty (firm and tight) but that might be me.

As for mpg difference its difficult to say in the short stint i had, maybe a 2mpg difference (lower) with the wider tyres?

Pics below (first on here of my new ride actually) so what do you think?

Attachments

• DSC00083.JPG
    DSC00083.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC00087.JPG
    DSC00087.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC00084.JPG
    DSC00084.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 115
They look excellent, they are exactly what I'm looking for my S211.

Here is a comparison photo i did while mid change.

Attachments

• DSC00082.JPG
    DSC00082.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 106
Maybe it's just me, but isnt your car sitting a little high?
Apparently its an optic illusion when you fit larger wheels, due to the thinner tyre wall, according to the CLK guys across the pond :dk:.

Most of them recomend fitting lowering springs when fitting 18" wheels, which is something I may need to consider?

I love those 18" and they fit the car perfectly. Just need some lowering now and it will look the act. Considering you mentioned the front tyres were old and brittle, have you checked the age of the rear tyres??

I love those 18" and they fit the car perfectly. Just need some lowering now and it will look the act. Considering you mentioned the front tyres were old and brittle, have you checked the age of the rear tyres??

Yes, I thought that as well straight away and asked the tyre depot to check the rears.
They were in better condition than I thought and were only half worn and good condition, so plenty of life left yet. Which was a relief :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom