18" CLK wheels -To buy or not to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, I thought that as well straight away and asked the tyre depot to check the rears.
They were in better condition than I thought and were only half worn and good condition, so plenty of life left yet. Which was a relief :).

You can check them yourself. The date is stamped on the side of the tyre. It is expressed as a week number and year. So, 3208, is tyre manufactured in week 32 , 2008.

Well despite the tyre depot checking the rears I had one of them blow out on me yesterday while on the motorway, quite scary. The inside tyre wall had stripped from the wheel completely, it looked like it had torn away.

I had to limp home on the space saver around 80 mies, eeek.

Got two new rears fitted today, luckily my rear wheel was OK and not damaged.

Moral of the story;

DONT TRUST 2ND HAND TYRES, PERIOD.

I took 18's off my E320 and fitted MB 17's (see my album for a pic) big ride improvement & less expensive tyres. Managed to get a 'redundant' set of new 17 wheels and tyres from local MB dealer, after they pimped up a new E320 with 20" wheels!
Yours look good on the car but it does seem to be too high, new lowered springs all round will sort it, and improve handling. Not too expensive I guess. I did that on my first W124 260E and it transformed the handing/ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom