18 Month old CLK320W209 Rusty Calipers, Disks hubs & Bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ralph

Car
CLK320 W209
MB Collindale have replaced the rusty bolts but refuse to replace the rusty calipers or brake disks (hubs). Advice please.

Is the rust significant enought to effect the safe and reliable operation of the brake systems or a cosmetic blemish ?

All brake discs oxidise to some degree, particularly overnight, but it's quickly worn away on the first braking maneouver.

If they're made from cast iron then they will rust.
You could clean them up then paint them but there is not a fault with them.

I'm sure everybody would like new caliprers and disks every year under warranty!

Bazza

RUSTY CALIPERS

this seems to happen a lot on new vehicles!!
had experience with my porsche. the vehicle is a 2001 model and when my discs began to rust i returned the car to the main dealer in solihul,uk. there reply was that it is quite normal and that once the car had been driven it would return back to normal. so i left it, recently the vehicle went for a service and they quoted me for new discs but the mileage was very low and it has not been driven hard to warrant a replacement. they had told me that the disc had rusted quite bad on the inner side, i asked for them to be done under warranty, but their reply was - wait for it,

MY FAULT! because after each wash! the car has to be driven to remove the moisture off the discs. nobody told me.

Mercedes wheel bolts rusting seems to be a common problem, they should be replaced under warranty on a newish car.

Brake discs tend to rust a little bit, particularly around the edges where the pads dont 'clean' them. I think genuine MB discs and some quality aftermarket ones have a zinc type coating that prevents serious rusting.

Calipers should not rust, again they should have a bright zinc coating either gold or silver coloured. Some calipers are cast iron some are alloy.

The one thing that causes all these items to corrode the worst is acidic wheel cleaner. That is why I will never, ever use 'Super Wheels' type alloy wheel cleaner, it's really nasty, corrosive, caustic, horrible stuff.

Have you used this type of wheel cleaner on your car at some point?

Re Brake disks, I am specifically referring to the disk hubs, not the braking surfaces.

The wheels have a very open structure and picture frame all the rust.

Yes I have used Wonderwheels, but avoid putting it on anything other than the wheels themselves and always quickly & thoroughly pressure wash it off.

Can one paint the bolt heads (only) with calliper paint?
Will painting the callipers affect the MB warrantee?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom