18 or 19 inch wheels - comfort

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve just switched to a CLS from a Jag XF having always prior to that had E classes. I have to say the Jag ride was just so quiet and soft in comparison to the CLS.

Log
Big difference between 74 and 69 db., exponential curve I think they call it, not a straight line
logarithmic , so technically speaking 74db is more than half as noisy again as 69db, but the human ear struggles to differentiate between 3db so for example 50db and 53db will sound the same to most of us.

Are the ratings for a tyre not based on the external noise it makes , so a noisy tyre on a RR would be barely internally audible whereas the same tyre on a lesser brand would be more intrusive ?

Kenny

Yes it's an external noise measurement at 50 MPH. Some independent tests e.g. autoexpress reviews do measure the internal noise levels.

I never really paid much attention to the db rating of a tyre, but I guess testing the noise it makes from outside is the only way to do it really. As KennyN says some cars insulate you from the outside world more than others. I am sure the last thing Ariel Atom owners worry about is tyre noise !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom