18" or 19"

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by beaRS, Feb 11, 2008.

1. beaRS

beaRS Member

Car:
    CLK55 AMG (W208) / Lotus Cortina / Mk2 RS2000
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've just picked up a W208 CLK55 AMG which I'm lovin'. Question is; do I fit a set of 18" or 19" alloys. I like the look of 19" wheels with 235/35 tyres on the front and 265/30 on the back. but I don't want to kill the ride quality.

Has anyone fitted 19" alloys? What's the ride like?

2. television

television MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R230 SL500

MB do not offer 19" on the CLK so I would stick with 18" to avoid a too bumpy ride.

Welcome to the forum :)

3. Shude

Shude MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    The maximum tyre size you want on a 208 is 225 front and 255 rear. Depending on make, model and how worn the tyre you might be able to fit a 235 on the front but 265 will probably rub on the rear!

4. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    19's on a CLK are miserable , we had 19's on ours ....

Ride was appalling , we have 18's now ..

That inch makes all the difference !

5. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    It's all about quality, not quantity, eh H? :D

6. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

Hello

It really does depend what you want, people say the ride will suffer well yes it will, as your running a 35 profile tyre although its not THAT bad..

I had 19's fitted to a convertible and the wife never complained about the ride even when expecting :) I would go with the 19's if I were you.

post the pics what ever you decide

7. OP
    OP
    beaRS

beaRS Member

Car:
    Thanks for your comments so far. I'm still unsure which way to go:confused:

I may decide to lower the car a tad too so maybe 19" would be a bit harsh (would've looked great though!). Anybody know a good place to buy alloys?

There's plenty of replica wheels about. Genuine AMG's would be real nice, but with such a large price difference are they really justified? I've never really seen replicas up close - is the quality too bad?

When it comes to tyres I was thinking Michelin Pilot sports as a great all rounder which should last. Does anyone think different?

8. chrisbala

chrisbala Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK w208
    I have a set of 19" replica brabus wheels on mine. I have also lowered it. I have 265/30 tyres on the back with 10mm spacers too. The ride quality is not that bad - I am finding it perfectly fine. Looks amazing. I am sure there is a difference in ride quality between 18" and 19" but I find that I have made the right choice.

9. peppernick

peppernick Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E500 Sport Coupe
    Some replicas are good whilst other's are really bad. Knowledge of which source the replicas come from is very handy. Internet forums are the best place to fish for information like this.

However, you generally can't go wrong with OEM. Have a look on ebay, they are plenty of OEM AMG rims about. Even if you get a set that has been kerbed, nothing a simple refurb can't make them look like new again. Just make sure they are not bent!

Also, check out the price difference between 19"s and 18"s tyres. 19"s can cost a lot more. Michelin Pilot Sports are very good tyres. They are also one of the most expensive brands. There are other tyres out there that are just as good for a lot less. I will also always choose the freshest tyres (less than a year from manufacturing date) as opposed to 'branded' tyres that have been sitting on a shelf for 3 years.

10. jagtar

jagtar Member

Car:
    CLK230 Komp
    had 19" on mine and ride was awful. now got 18" ad is great. but its down to you how you want your car. I've heard 19" can be ok just a matter of finding the right balance

11. OP
    OP
    beaRS

beaRS Member

Car:
    Thanks for that useful Info. What's up with older tyres? do they go 'off'. How do you know what the manufactured date is?

12. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    Stick with genuine AMG wheels, and 18" if you want to upgrade - that'll be the best look, and will still drive/ride nicely :cool:

I think there's another 208 CLK55 on here with upgraded wheels (18"). Belongs to member 'C240Sport97' (Sean) :)

Will

13. television

television MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R230 SL500

Rubber once exposed to the air starts its down hill degrading, it hardens and will eventually start to split and crumble.

I can keep rubber drive belts inside plastic bags for ever, once out and on the machine its 4-5years max before they fall apart

14. C240Sport97

C240Sport97 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    SL400 and 911 GT3
    Apologies for the overly large pic

[​IMG]

15. peppernick

peppernick Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E500 Sport Coupe
    Lovely 55 sitting on 19"s :cool:

[​IMG]

16. OP
    OP
    beaRS

beaRS Member

Car:
    Damn, that white CLK looks great!

I wonder what its like to live with as a daily drive - looks like its been lowered 50mm!

Tags: