18" or 19"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beaRS

Car
CLK55 AMG (W208) / Lotus Cortina / Mk2 RS2000
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've just picked up a W208 CLK55 AMG which I'm lovin'. Question is; do I fit a set of 18" or 19" alloys. I like the look of 19" wheels with 235/35 tyres on the front and 265/30 on the back. but I don't want to kill the ride quality.

Has anyone fitted 19" alloys? What's the ride like?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've just picked up a W208 CLK55 AMG which I'm lovin'. Question is; do I fit a set of 18" or 19" alloys. I like the look of 19" wheels with 235/35 tyres on the front and 265/30 on the back. but I don't want to kill the ride quality.

Has anyone fitted 19" alloys? What's the ride like?

MB do not offer 19" on the CLK so I would stick with 18" to avoid a too bumpy ride.

Welcome to the forum :)

The maximum tyre size you want on a 208 is 225 front and 255 rear. Depending on make, model and how worn the tyre you might be able to fit a 235 on the front but 265 will probably rub on the rear!

19's on a CLK are miserable , we had 19's on ours ....

Ride was appalling , we have 18's now ..

That inch makes all the difference !

Hello

It really does depend what you want, people say the ride will suffer well yes it will, as your running a 35 profile tyre although its not THAT bad..

I had 19's fitted to a convertible and the wife never complained about the ride even when expecting :) I would go with the 19's if I were you.

post the pics what ever you decide

Thanks for your comments so far. I'm still unsure which way to go:confused:

I may decide to lower the car a tad too so maybe 19" would be a bit harsh (would've looked great though!). Anybody know a good place to buy alloys?

There's plenty of replica wheels about. Genuine AMG's would be real nice, but with such a large price difference are they really justified? I've never really seen replicas up close - is the quality too bad?

When it comes to tyres I was thinking Michelin Pilot sports as a great all rounder which should last. Does anyone think different?

I have a set of 19" replica brabus wheels on mine. I have also lowered it. I have 265/30 tyres on the back with 10mm spacers too. The ride quality is not that bad - I am finding it perfectly fine. Looks amazing. I am sure there is a difference in ride quality between 18" and 19" but I find that I have made the right choice.

There's plenty of replica wheels about. Genuine AMG's would be real nice, but with such a large price difference are they really justified? I've never really seen replicas up close - is the quality too bad?

When it comes to tyres I was thinking Michelin Pilot sports as a great all rounder which should last. Does anyone think different?
Some replicas are good whilst other's are really bad. Knowledge of which source the replicas come from is very handy. Internet forums are the best place to fish for information like this.

However, you generally can't go wrong with OEM. Have a look on ebay, they are plenty of OEM AMG rims about. Even if you get a set that has been kerbed, nothing a simple refurb can't make them look like new again. Just make sure they are not bent!

Also, check out the price difference between 19"s and 18"s tyres. 19"s can cost a lot more. Michelin Pilot Sports are very good tyres. They are also one of the most expensive brands. There are other tyres out there that are just as good for a lot less. I will also always choose the freshest tyres (less than a year from manufacturing date) as opposed to 'branded' tyres that have been sitting on a shelf for 3 years.

had 19" on mine and ride was awful. now got 18" ad is great. but its down to you how you want your car. I've heard 19" can be ok just a matter of finding the right balance

Some replicas are good whilst other's are really bad. Knowledge of which source the replicas come from is very handy. Internet forums are the best place to fish for information like this.

However, you generally can't go wrong with OEM. Have a look on ebay, they are plenty of OEM AMG rims about. Even if you get a set that has been kerbed, nothing a simple refurb can't make them look like new again. Just make sure they are not bent!

Also, check out the price difference between 19"s and 18"s tyres. 19"s can cost a lot more. Michelin Pilot Sports are very good tyres. They are also one of the most expensive brands. There are other tyres out there that are just as good for a lot less. I will also always choose the freshest tyres (less than a year from manufacturing date) as opposed to 'branded' tyres that have been sitting on a shelf for 3 years.

Thanks for that useful Info. What's up with older tyres? do they go 'off'. How do you know what the manufactured date is?

Stick with genuine AMG wheels, and 18" if you want to upgrade - that'll be the best look, and will still drive/ride nicely :cool:

I think there's another 208 CLK55 on here with upgraded wheels (18"). Belongs to member 'C240Sport97' (Sean) :)

Will

Thanks for that useful Info. What's up with older tyres? do they go 'off'. How do you know what the manufactured date is?

Rubber once exposed to the air starts its down hill degrading, it hardens and will eventually start to split and crumble.

I can keep rubber drive belts inside plastic bags for ever, once out and on the machine its 4-5years max before they fall apart

Apologies for the overly large pic

18-side.jpg

Stick with genuine AMG wheels, and 18" if you want to upgrade - that'll be the best look, and will still drive/ride nicely :cool:

I think there's another 208 CLK55 on here with upgraded wheels (18"). Belongs to member 'C240Sport97' (Sean) :)

Will

Damn, that white CLK looks great!

I wonder what its like to live with as a daily drive - looks like its been lowered 50mm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom