180 c chatter on start up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fulham75

Car
c180 estate elegance
hi everyone,im new to this forum,in fact new to mercs,never had one in nearly 40 years of driving.Anyway I have bought a 52 plate 2003 180 c elegance estate,got it at a very very good price,and seems a lovely car.my question is should it chatter for a couple of seconds on start up?when I collected the car it had not been started for over 2 weeks,and chatted for 3 or 4 seconds then was silent,i did look into it and see that its fairly common,my first thought was its drain back,from the lifters,am I correct?.i hate the sound in the morning,its started to worry me now.I would have thought it would have a system to stop drain back,or am I worring about nothing.would a flush and oil change help?if so what oil is best?i got the car from a dealer ,who took it as a px,and to old for his fourcourt,picking up the service history when the previous owner brings it in ,but I wont hold my breath.A have a good knowledge of cars in general,and nearly always do all my own repairs,so my first thought was drain back,but im always concerned of every little rattle or bang on my cars,and worry until I have fixed it or given an explanation for a problem,fingers crossed im right ,,,many thanks for any replies

Timing chain rattle and/or non drain valve on oil filter not working?

Stretched timing chain/worn cam gears is a strong possibility,as common on early W203
M271 engines.are you around the 100k miles mark?.Best to get it checked.

thanks for the replies,firstly is the none drain valve an easy replacement,and what sort of cost is it.can I check the chain myself? and is it a diy replacement job? years since I worked on chain drive,are the parts costly?sorry but I have no idea of merc parts.As I said once its warm and you restart it, noise goes,leave it an hour and chatter is very slight that's why I was thinking drain back,but as I have said mercs are a whole new ball game to me,,,many thanks again for replies

firstly sorry ,about the mileage,yes 100 k,how did you know lol.i have just gone out and started it ,its not been started this 3 this afternoon,and to my surprise no chatter what so ever.i only collected the car yesterday,and as I said before had not been started for 2 weeks,so wonder if that was the cause?.lets see what happens in the morning,and I will get back,,many thanks again

what engine oil should I use ,because I want to service it,as I have no s/h yet,would it be a good idea to fit another non drain valve? would an engine flush be advised on these engines,,,,,,,,,.one other thing ,is it possible to obtain any history from mb,IF it was ever servicd by a dealer,,,,,sorry for all the questions cheers steve

If you have an M271 engine with 100k miles and a rattling timing chain, I would advise that you take it straight to the garage.

It will need a new timing chain and the two timing sprocket gears replaced with the modified gears.

Not too much of an expense if done now before the timing chain jumps a few gears and you are looking and valve and piston damage, which, on a 2003 car, could mean a write-off.

On a general note... the oil should be to MB Spec Sheet 229.3, or, better still, 229.5. Viscosity either 5W-30, 5W-40, or 0W-40, depending one where you live.

Common brands are Mobil S, Mobile 1, Shell Helix Ultra, Petronas, but there are others.

Engine flush is controversial - some say it can dislodge deposits and cause damage - other say its great - you'll have to make up your own mind about this.

Last edited:
As for service history, it only became computerised around 2010.

So for your 2003 car, the only way to trace service history is if you know which MB dealer serviced it, and then ask them for copy bills.

But even if you do manage to locate the original dealer, they might not keep history 11 years back, so not sure how feasible this is.

Last edited:
For oil use 5W30 fully synthetic,MB say not to flush the engine,just obviously change
the filter.If the vehicle has been through the MB dealer network they will be able to
give you details of when and why,if they are in helpful mode.

edit

Last edited:
edit

Last edited:
update on the clatter,well,its been fine no rattle nothing,until this morning,slight rattle on start up,And the idle was a bit erratic,and the engine sounded what I can only describe as sounding like an exhaust blow,after about 5or 6 seconds everything calmed down and was fine.i know the advice given about the chain seems the obvious,but why is it only rattling on a hit and miss bases?and why would it cause erractic idle?i had a sign come up yesterday which said something like oil over full,so im going to sort that today with an oil and filter change.i did have a look at the cost of chain and sprocket kit ,its around 500 quid!i only gave 900 for the car,its lovely apart from this problem,body is very good,as is the leather,and the auto box is very smooth,but its the age old dilemma,how much do you throw money wise at an old car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom