19” ‘Turbine’ alloys: flaking plastic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobsavage789

Car
C43 saloon
Hello,

Making the most of my holiday, I decided to wash my W205 C43 today, and noticed that the black parts of one of the alloy wheels had flaking plastic on them (see attached photo). I jet washed all 4 wheels, but it only happened to one

1) Has anyone else experienced this?

2) Is there a cheapish way of getting it sorted (would alloy refurbishers be able to help?)?

3) Long shot: would my extended MB warranty cover this? Wheels are listed as not being covered, but could this be a manufacturing defect, as it’s only on one?

Thanks in advance 830D0DCA-7C40-4EDC-A409-A07F58A6210A.jpeg

The wheel looks like it's already been refurbished , no chamfers on any of the holes .

That's the laquer coat coming away, most probably refurbed at some time.

That's the laquer coat coming away, most probably refurbed at some time.
Ah OK: lacquer rather than plastic makes a bit more sense.

Do we think this can be relacquered? I’ve already had to shell out for one new wheel this summer!

Ah OK: lacquer rather than plastic makes a bit more sense.

Do we think this can be relacquered? I’ve already had to shell out for one new wheel this summer!
Difficult bit is removing all traces of the old laquer, the new laquer will not adhere unless the old stuff is taken off and the wheel cleaned and keyed.
You can attempt this yourself then use a new 2k laquer if you fancy a bit of DIY,

Difficult bit is removing all traces of the old laquer, the new laquer will not adhere unless the old stuff is taken off and the wheel cleaned and keyed.
You can attempt this yourself then use a new 2k laquer if you fancy a bit of DIY,
Thanks for the reply.

I’m not sure I’d trust myself not to make a total Horlicks of any DIY relacquering, so will seek advice from a professional…

I’m going through a similar issue. Is considered wear and tear. Looks like you will need powder coating.

I’ll admit to having to look up the word ‘chamfer’….

Could the refurb be the reason behind why only this wheel was affected..?
If you look at your other wheels you can see the difference in the holes. Flaking refurbs are a common problem but I've never see them peeling like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom