19” amg alloys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnnyonion

Car
2015 E250 amg coupe
Hi,
I’ve got a 2015 E250 amg coupe with 19” alloys 35mm front and 30mm rear.
Had a few cracks and had them welded.
With the state of the roads these days, just looking to see what I can do to avoid this happening.
Can I increase the size to 40mm front and 35mm rear on these wheels?
Or can I look for 18” wheels with 40mm front and 35mm rear without it causing any problems with the Speedo or ABS etc?
Any advice will be appreciated, thank you.

Welcome to the forum:thumb:

The 18" option with the side profiles you note would be a better bet than the 19's and offer a little more comfort.
Using those profiles should cause no ABS or speed sensor issues.

But those were the dimensions I had on my E55 and I still got a couple of rear wheels crack.
Whereas never had a problem with the 19's and 35/30 profiles on my E63.
I see no reason why you shouldn't fit the 19" tyres with a higher sidewall that you suggest although someone with more knowledge may correct me.

Hi , Mercedes will provide you with a full list of wheels / tyre size that will fit you car.The list is only for Mercedes rims.

I ran the tyre 255/35/19 on the rear by mistake and but changed them to 30 but on the back that lowers the car by 12mm.

I use to use Conti 5p tyres but changed to Goodyear Assy 5 and it transforms the car ( to me )

With the Goodyear tyres the car does not roll in bends as much , steering is better and the ride is more compliant.

Hope to achieve 20000 miles.

I’ve got a 2015 E250 amg coupe with 19” alloys 35mm front and 30mm rear
Just for info the 30 and 35 are not mm....that is the profile ratio....so 35 profile means the sidewall height is 35 % of the width of the tyre tread.....or at least its supposed to be.....!

I got sick of my 19s on my 2010 A207 350. Picked up some 17s and the ride is so much better. Less grip due to narrower section tyre but the handling of the car is actually better to me. Took a while to get used to the look of 17s compared to 19s but well worth it in my book. 18s would be a good compromise but still need to watch out for potholes!

Hi,
With the state of the roads these days, just looking to see what I can do to avoid this happening.
Or can I look for 18” wheels with 40mm front and 35mm rear without it causing any problems with the Speedo or ABS etc?
I use 18 in the colder months , 235 40 18. Ride comfort is 60 % better .

If all 4 of your rims are 8.5j as mine are , you can go 235/35/19 all round .

Hi,
Hi , I have the E400 version of your car.The car has run on Conti 5p tyres from new with poor tyre issues.

I have fitted Goodyear Assy 5 and the overall experience is better.The ride is considerably better ( difficult to be subject in % terms ) but road holding is a great improvement.

If I had an e class salon or estate car I would change the wheels tyres to improve the ride but a coupe is all about looks.

Suggest you take advice on tyres size as I have driven you car and the torque low down is considerable ( more than my E400 )

The answer is no to q1 and yes to q2.
If you increase the profile % (or depth) of the tyre and stick with the 19 inch rim then fairly obviously you have changed the overall diameter of the tyre and this will impact the gearing ratio, the speedo and will be a fitment that is not approved / recommended by MB. In theory it could invalidate your insurance but that's an unlikely scenario.
If you want to increase the depth of the tyre and maintain the overall diameter of the tyre then the way to achieve this is to reduce the diameter of the wheel.
You can either figure out the equivalent size tyre in a 17" or 18" rim size by looking at an online wheel / tyre comparison tool or you can take a look in the manual for your car to see what options are approved by MB - the limiting factor in how small you can go is likely to be the size of the brake caliper and getting the wheel over it.

I would question the quality of the rims if 'they' are cracking? (are you 100% sure they are genuine MB wheels? and not 'copies'?)
I have just changed from a BMW running 20" wheels, and had no cracking issues. prior to this, both my previous Mercs were on 19" (as is my current one, and had no probs) having said that, I still hate runfltas!!!!

I would question the quality of the rims if 'they' are cracking? (are you 100% sure they are genuine MB wheels? and not 'copies'?)
I have just changed from a BMW running 20" wheels, and had no cracking issues. prior to this, both my previous Mercs were on 19" (as is my current one, and had no probs) having said that, I still hate runfltas!!!!
Alloys seemingly made from cheese are a known issue with MB factory wheels, but it's not a problem exclusive to Mercedes.

I've had 2 x E coupes on 19" AMG alloys and my current C 250 is on 19" , never had a problem. It's all down to the condition of the roads and how fast you hit any potholes.

Two of my 19” split rims have cracks on them. I’ve had a quote for repair and refurbishment but can’t see the point with our crap roads. I’ve sourced some 18” one piece which hopefully will be stronger.

You can either figure out the equivalent size tyre in a 17" or 18" rim size by looking at an online wheel / tyre comparison tool or you can take a look in the manual for your car to see what options are approved by MB.

They aren't of much use because the tyre manufacturers manipulate the stated width and aspect ratios , always stick with the manufacturer recommended sizes regardless of real world measurements .

But the comparison tool will be refered to till the end of days .

Here's real world of another manufacturers , 205 55 16 Vs 235 45 17 , calculated the difference in overall diameter is 11.4 mm .

I had both sizes to hand and both evenly worn and just at the start of the wear bars .

2016-07-08 23.30.45.jpg

That piece of wood is 22 mm tall !

I came to question the math when I noticed upsizing of wheels gave significant rise to chassis height .

They aren't of much use because the tyre manufacturers manipulate the stated width and aspect ratios , always stick with the manufacturer recommended sizes regardless of real world measurements .

But the comparison tool will be refered to till the end of days .

Here's real world of another manufacturers , 205 55 16 Vs 235 45 17 , calculated the difference in overall diameter is 11.4 mm .

I had both sizes to hand and both evenly worn and just at the start of the wear bars .

View attachment 135031

That piece of wood is 22 mm tall !

I came to question the math when I noticed upsizing of wheels gave significant rise to chassis height .
That's probably because the correct 17 equivalent to a 205/55/16 is 225/45/17 - so a 235/45/17 is going to be bigger.

It is correct but this particular manufacturer has stipulated 205 55 16 and 235 45 17 , the math 11.4 mm , real world is more than double !

And with regards to the speedo against two GPS aps the 235 45 17 actually made the speedo more accurate .

Strange but true .

I suppose the speedo bit is not strange because the increase in tyre size has removed the car manufacturer "margin of safety" on the speedo accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom