19" ML Wheels with new Goodyear Efficientgrip tyres fitted....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gIzzE

MB Enthusiast
Car
65 plate BMW F11 Touring (165k miles) + Porsche 911 Carrera 4 (140k miles) Doing my bit to be green.
I bought a set of 19" ML wheels for my W163 last week, but have decided I am going to swap the car shortly, so no point putting these on as they won't add value.

The wheels are used but in excellent condition, the tyres are new, they were off a delivery mileage car that had some General Grabbers fitted.

The tyres are stunning, really good on mpg, extremely comfortable and almost silent (68db rating which is as good as it gets for a 19") size is 235.55.19 instead of the 255.50.19 standard.
The slightly narrower style improves handling, rids any tramlining, reduces fuel consumption and makes them more comfy and quiet.

These cost me just over £840 and that was after waiting for a good price on rims.
Rememeber these 4x4 tyres have over 8mm new and the wear markers are at 3mm, so all those wheels on eBay that say '4mm tread remaining' may as well say 'tyres need binning'.

The new tyres have been fitted and balanced, and there are longer wheel bolts (16 of them, no locking nuts) for anyone who is thinking of putting these on a W163 or W166.

Please note, some W163s have bigger brakes, ML500 and 'some' facelift cars, these would need a 20mm spacer fitted. Guy on ebay sells them for £49 with the bolts.

I think that covers everything?

Oh, I am located in Norfolk, but would meet up somewhere if it helps, around the A14/M11 area maybe.

These are them before cleaned up and new tyres fitted.
47290d1417012124-ml-w163-build-locations-img_0583.jpg

Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV 235/55 R19 105V XL - mytyres.co.uk

Halfords Autocentres | Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV XL (235/55 R19 105V)

Obviously I would love to get my £840 back, but I am realistic, so will always listen to offers.

I would hope to get £675.

Other options is a set of 20" ML wheels.
They have Pirellis fitted with around 5mm on one set and 6mm on the other.
They need a refurb but still look good.
£675 for those and the old man will have the 19's for a bit more comfort and brand new tyres.

The 20's look like these...

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 19
I wouldn't say 4MM even across the tyre is ready for binning granted 50% used, 5 mm with inner wear would be useless.

SUV tyres tend to be all season tyres, and they start at 8 or even 9mm and have wear indicators at 3mm, unlike a summer car tyre that starts at 7 or 8mm and has a wear indicator at 1.6mm.

So, when you get an advert saying '4mm remaining' it is a bit misleading with 4x4 wheels, they are near ready for binning.

Continental Tires -Keep an eye on your tread depth.

Even so, it is not 50% used is it?
If you start at 8mm, and they need replacing at 3mm, or let's say 2mm to push it a bit, then with 4mm remaining then you have used 67%.
That is if the wear is even, and also when you ask the dot date many are already 5 years old.

The point is, I am asking £675 for a set of tyres with 8mm+ all round on a set of alloys that get £600 all day long with completely shagged mismatched tyres.

But thanks for your concern and derailing my sale thread. ;)

SUV tyres tend to be all season tyres, and they start at 8 or even 9mm and have wear indicators at 3mm, unlike a summer car tyre that starts at 7 or 8mm and has a wear indicator at 1.6mm.

So, when you get an advert saying '4mm remaining' it is a bit misleading with 4x4 wheels, they are near ready for binning.

Continental Tires -Keep an eye on your tread depth.

Even so, it is not 50% used is it?
If you start at 8mm, and they need replacing at 3mm, or let's say 2mm to push it a bit, then with 4mm remaining then you have used 67%.
That is if the wear is even, and also when you ask the dot date many are already 5 years old.

The point is, I am asking £675 for a set of tyres with 8mm+ all round on a set of alloys that get £600 all day long with completely shagged mismatched tyres.

But thanks for your concern and derailing my sale thread. ;)

Apologises if you see it as de railing your sale thread, consider it a free bump.

I'm selling a set of alloys with tyres with conti sport contact 3 with 4MM of thread hence my reply the link you supplied would imo have more relevance if you considered driving to Austria in December on summer tyres with 4mm of thread.

My dot date is 38 11 so a little life left.

Glwts.

Last edited:
Apologises if you see it as de railing your sale thread, consider it a free bump.

I'm selling a set of alloys with tyres with conti sport contact 3 with 4MM of thread hence my reply the link you supplied would imo have more relevance if you considered driving to Austria in December on summer tyres with 4mm of thread.

My dot date is 38 11 so a little life left.

Glwts.

Haha, not at all mate, hence the ;) at the end.

I meant 4mm left in the context of many 4x4 wheels is not the same as when on a regular car, and many users don't realise this, they see 4mm and think there is still a good 40% remaining.

No longer sale, popped them on the car today as I couldn't bare looking at them any longer, temptation got the better of me.

Have to say I am absolutely over the moon with the Goodyear Efficientgrip tyres. I thought they must have been far too low psi wise as the ride was every bit as comfy as the 17" wheels with Michelin Latitude Tours fitted and silent, just no tyre noise at all, but they were at 34psi all round.
I will post a review in the tyre section after I have done a few miles, but very, very impressive tyre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom