19" or 20" for C43 Coupe (C205) ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rudemerc

Car
AMG C43 Coupe
Hi , New to this forum. I have a C43 coupe (2017) I currently have the 5 spoke AMG 18" stock rims with Bridgestone tyres on it and was thinking about upgrading to either 19" or 20 " . Not sure which size to go for and whether i will need spacers . I can go for a wider rear wheel too. Can anyone give me their view/opinion on this mod in terms of ride quality and which tyres I should look at . Also any advice an the rims themselves would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance .

Hi , New to this forum. I have a C43 coupe (2017) I currently have the 5 spoke AMG 18" stock rims with Bridgestone tyres on it and was thinking about upgrading to either 19" or 20 " . Not sure which size to go for and whether i will need spacers . I can go for a wider rear wheel too. Can anyone give me their view/opinion on this mod in terms of ride quality and which tyres I should look at . Also any advice an the rims themselves would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance .

I'm on the verge of purchasing a used C43 with 19in rims. Ideally I wanted 18in as my previous W204 had 19in rims and I swore never again. The 19in wheels cracked on several occasions, The alloy wheel guys told me that AMG 19 in wheels are prone to cracking.

The pot holes and speed humps in London dont help ethier.

Also I found the ride on 19in wheels way too harsh. They did look really good on the car but the frequency of alloy wheel inner rim cracks was of concern.

So, will let you know next week and if the 19s are bad ride wise I will be be looking for a set of 18s.

Hi, Thanks for your message, let me know how you get on, may be able to do a deal .... C43 is amazing by the way, I have a constant grin on my face :)

I think that many would agree that "upgrading" AMG 18" stock rims to either 19" or 20" is anything but an upgrade.

May I suggest that, if possible, you try a C43 coupé with 19" or 20" rims, you may find the ride is not to your liking.

YMMV of course.

Good luck

NJSS

Last edited:
I think that many would disagree that "upgrading" AMG 18" stock rims to either 19" or 20" is anything but an upgrade.

May I suggest that, if possible, you try a C43 coupé with 19" or 20" rims, you may find the ride is not to your liking.

YMMV of course.

Good luck

NJSS

do you mean many agree it is not an upgrade?

or many disagree it is an upgrade?

Hi, Thanks for your message, let me know how you get on, may be able to do a deal .... C43 is amazing by the way, I have a constant grin on my face :)

Hi...Hopefully picking it up on Sat so I will certainly let you know and I will most probably interested in a deal on the wheels....pm me with your details when you can

Anyone for popcorn? ;)

I have a 2018 c43 saloon on 19" wheels (think they are 265 at the rear and 225 at the front). I dont find the ride too harsh and think they suit the car a lot better than the 18", but thats just personal preference. Ditched the run-flats almost immediately though for some MPS 4S which improved the ride quality significantly.

20s or even 19s may be an upgrade visually but they will difinitely be a serious downgrade so far as ride and road noise are concerned. i went from 17s to 18s on my wifes sl and it was like chalk and cheese or rather cheese and solid rock...truly horrible.

I have 19's on my 2019 C43. I think the ride is OK, it's firm but not harsh. Only issue I have found is that the wheels can be damaged really easily when going over kerbs, even at very low speeds, and I suspect the same would be true of a decent sized pothole although I seem to have managed to avoid any so far. I suspect the run flat tyres don't help, as the stiffer sidewalls will not be cushioning the bump as much. Thankfully I bought alloy insurance just after I bought the car and that's paid for the kerbing marks. It also paid for a warped rim when they were doing one of the scuffs, which was surprising considering the car had done 28 miles when I bought it and it had done just over 800 when it was repaired.

20"fitted to my e class standard, this is a pic of the inside on the P zero tyres fitted with blocks of foam all around the inside of the tyre cuts road noise by 3 decibels per tyre = 12 decibels .
really smart idea. The comments on here about road noise etc is down to tyre choice cheaper = louder imo.
you might be pushed re 20” but most good wheel suppliers will advise but def 19’s just make the car.

Attachments

• 16C771DE-2AAB-4B5E-9B80-841F6CFDC64E.jpeg
    16C771DE-2AAB-4B5E-9B80-841F6CFDC64E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Thanks all for your comments and advice . I've decided to go with 19", but ditch the run flats and go for a premium tyre . Will feedback on this thread with my experience :)

My C250 came with 19's + runflats set to 270 kpa, not the smoothest of rides. Dropped the pressure to 235 kpi and much better , swopped to 18's over the winter and much smoother. Due to lockdown only put the 19's back on a few weeks ago but put new non runflats on the front (set to 235 kpa), originalls worn out in the middle after 6500 miles, and have to admit that there's only a very small difference compared to the 18's. The ride with 19's and non runflat set to 235 kpa is so good ( my opinion) that I'm seriously thinking about what to do with the unused set of 18's and tyres , OEM AMG , that I bought last year.

My C250 came with 19's + runflats set to 270 kpa, not the smoothest of rides. Dropped the pressure to 235 kpi and much better , swopped to 18's over the winter and much smoother. Due to lockdown only put the 19's back on a few weeks ago but put new non runflats on the front (set to 235 kpa), originalls worn out in the middle after 6500 miles, and have to admit that there's only a very small difference compared to the 18's. The ride with 19's and non runflat set to 235 kpa is so good ( my opinion) that I'm seriously thinking about what to do with the unused set of 18's and tyres , OEM AMG , that I bought last year.
I assume that’s lower than the recommended pressures in the fuel flap?

Last edited:
Recommended on the flap 3 up + luggage is 250 kpa. The front tyres , Continental Runflats, were wearing in the middle and when I changed them they were down to 2mm in the middle and 4 mm on the sides so 250 kpa was obviously too high.

Last edited:
Hi there
I'm running my 2019 c43 coupe on 19 inch wheels and I dropped it with eibach springs, and still the ride is reasonable.
As for handling and braking it is just do much better.

Attachments

• IMG-20200904-WA0019.jpeg
    IMG-20200904-WA0019.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG-20200904-WA0023.jpeg
    IMG-20200904-WA0023.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom