19" Wheel balancing issues Glasgow

• Thread starter Deleted member 152625
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 152625

Hi All,

I've recently had some Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5's fitted to the rear and also had the front wheels balanced at the same time from my local Kwik Fit (i await the abuse haha), i've since had a vibration which you can feel through the chassis / seats at 70mph +

I've taken it back to them to re-balance the rear and it slightly improved the vibration but it's still there (about 90% ok i'd say), i've only used this garage for smaller wheels before and they've been spot on and never had any issues.

Has anyone else had the same issue with 19" + wheels? hoping someone near me knows a garage who are use to dealing with big wheels and 285 wide tyres lol i would travel anywhere in the central belt of Scotland to have this done :)

On the 3rd time to kwik fit they've told me the wheels are 100% balanced on their machine and they think it's maybe the front wheel bearing (which i doubt it is), so i'm just going to look for another garage to take the car to from now on.

I'm going to do this at the weekend, seen a few youtube videos on this already :)

Had this issue on my ML a few years ago, despite being balanced 3 times and the garage saying the wheels were good I still had the issue. Turned out the vibration was caused by slightly buckled wheels, eventually diagnosed by a MB dealer. Replaced the wheels and the vibration stopped.

OK two things:
1. If they are quieter designed tyres I had an issue with foam delamination on the inside. Had it removed and fixed the issue.
2. When they balance tyres they generally don't go that fast on the balancer. On my C class I asked them to test them at a higher speed and again this worked better and were perfectly balanced.

Both done at Springhill MOT just off the M8

Alan's the boss and a top bloke.

I have fairly recently bought a W218 350cdi and I too have problems with vibrations. Tried to get the wheels balanced with limited success. It did flag up 3 out of 4 are buckled to some extent on the inner rim. This is actually a replacement set as the originals had one with a buckled outer rim and were in need of a refurb. I'm booked in to get them straightened next week so will see how true they can get them. I don't really want to go down the aftermarket route.

Unfortunately it seems to be a common problem with the 19" rims. Good luck.

thanks all for your input, going to get all wheels checked for buckles and the wheel bearings.

The wheels could do with a refurb due to the laquer starting to bubble but want to find somewhere with a proper setup for straightening wheels and not some guy with heat and a big hammer lol

i did consider getting replacement wheels off ebay but you just never know if they're gonna be any better than the ones i have, plus the vibration from mine is minimal.

Has anyone else had the same issue with 19" + wheels? hoping someone near me knows a garage who are use to dealing with big wheels and 285 wide tyres lol i would travel anywhere in the central belt of Scotland to have this done :)

SWMBO uses Jim Dickson at Cumbernauld for her Z4 which is on 19"s.

going to get all wheels checked for buckles and the wheel bearings.

The wheels could do with a refurb due to the laquer starting to bubble but want to find somewhere with a proper setup for straightening wheels and not some guy with heat and a big hammer lol

i did consider getting replacement wheels off ebay but you just never know if they're gonna be any better than the ones i have, plus the vibration from mine is minimal.

Try these guys.

Highly recommended by my mate

Had same issue with tyres.

The new tyres were out of round from a manufacturing fault or more likely stored incorrectly.

I had the wheels balanced at MB and at two other separate places and all were happy with the results but still vibration at 90-120mph.

A road force balancer will asses the wheels and tyres for trueness and in certain cases the tyres and wheels can be aligned to minimise vibration.
However in my case the wheels were not damaged at all but the tyres were so out of round that they couldn't balance them. Off they came and new tyres went on.
This wasn't the first time I'd a tyre supplied that was defective.

If the vibration is thought the chassis and not steering wheel then it would point to the new rears

Last edited:
Have the tyres been installed properly with the balancing dots aligned with the wheel valve stems?
Most tyre fitters do not adhere to this and hope the "tyre balancing machine" will sort there laziness in not aligning the dots. I have had many a row over the years with "you don't need to do that etc"
It also reduces the amount of weight needed to balance the wheel.
Did you also know that the new balancing machines can be set to reassess the weighting to hide the weights behind the spokes of the wheel.

kc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom