190 lumpy idle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

94mattda

SUPPORTER
Car
E220 Coupe, Porsche Boxster
Hello, I have a 1.8 auto 190 93 plate. It's done 104k but has a slight lumpiness on idle and slightly low with fluctuation on start up. Can anyone suggest where to start please, I thought plugs, leads, distributor etc

I would check the distributor cap and rotor arm, then suspect an air leak into the induction system.

Thank you, will have a look tomorrow for air leaks and get new distributor cap and rotor arm :)

How did you get on?

When I bought my 190 last year I had a lumpy and hunting idle which was fixed by having the injection system "serviced". This involved the use of a long hex key by my mechanic - only the second time he's used it apparently because he hadn't had a mechanical injection car in for years.

Needless to say, this fixed the issues and it has run smoothly ever since.

:thumb:

Also could be the idle valve. A good soak overnight in meths can unclog it.

Don't forget to check the vacuum pipe that runs under the plenum etc, it can deteriorate without you noticing.

Is it an fuel injection car or carb?

Is it an fuel injection car or carb?

A 1993 1.8 car will be injection.

Could be so many things - hard to tell without looking. I'd check the basics - distributor cap and rotor, leads etc.

1.8 M102s like a head gasket too..

Does the idle speed change when it's warmed up - thinking OVP relay etc?

Cheers Will....I missed the 1993! Thanks for the under tray BTW.

Can't see any air leeks. May change the bits mentioned above and see if the helps. Thanks for the replies so far

Changed my distributor cap and rotor arm and the car is running a little better on start up. On initial start up in the morning or after a long period of standing for the day it tends to start up but idles rough and stalls, with a gentle repeated coaxing of the accelerator it runs ok, i am thinking the automatic choke?? any ideas or pointers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom