190 Problems with rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpskiller

Car
Wifes
Apart from rain causing rust, the car has had an on-going issue, that when it rains it starts to splutter and has a couple of times stalled/cut out whilst driving.

This got better when I cleaned the fuel pump relay connectors last year, is now starting to get worse and only in the wet/rain.

Any ideas welcome

Possibly worth changing the HT leads if they are original. Had an issue with damp getting into the leads on a previous car, a new set and the car was transformed in damp weather.

how would I verify / stop moisture getting in dizzy cap?

HT leads is possible, cheers for idea's keep em coming

Check inside the cap to se if there are any cracks or moisture present. Sometimes you can see dirty streaks that point to previous moisture ingress.

It is just as easy to change the cap, simple, cheap and you rule out one common source of poor running, misfires etc.

Check inside the cap to se if there are any cracks or moisture present. Sometimes you can see dirty streaks that point to previous moisture ingress.

It is just as easy to change the cap, simple, cheap and you rule out one common source of poor running, misfires etc.

My W123 (same engine) needed the above. No amount of cleaning and drying helped - only replacement.
If yours is the same - it will fail to start some damp day.

2 litre dizzy caps are pretty cheap, at least compared to 2.6 versions. A Bosch or Beru one from ECP or GSF would do the trick.

think I'll give that a bash first, cheers guys

ordered a new beru dizzy cap to try, will update in few days, but if anyone has another idea, pls let me know

Last edited:
SWMBO says its worse when slowing and going round corners!!, if that makes any difference, probably not

That makes it sound like an air leak, but if the fuel pump relay had an effect I would look at that again and the pump connections, including the earth.

One minor problem, my replacement dizzy has arrived (beru) has two long screws, one on the car has a black cover over it, but the screws are spring loaded and not screws but turned at bottom to clip in, can the one I got be adapted ????

Sounds like a 190 cap, not a 190E cap.

listing did say it was for 190e, but I dident check fittings on my car, gonna try and get exchange for right type, cheers

it appears the other type is for upto year 86 / non cat cars?, ordered one anyway, this car is a 89' but had new engine fitted @ around 70,000 might explain why its different type!!!

While I was waiting for replacement dizzy cap, I thought I would clean the drain channels, I noticed on passenger side the rubber tube was disconnected, so I pushed that back on, fixed the plastic cover behind the battery and tapped that on so no gaps, and cleaned the rest up.

Well since then have had no issues, replacement dizzy has arrived but gonna wait few more days before fitting, it could do with a new 1 anyway.

Well after all that we still dont know what solved the no start in the damp!!!!! First thing with these 190 or 124 is vacuum pipes do split and rubber joiners crack . I would have thought it would be the first place to look ...If vacuum hoses and pipes are split or falling off the engine performance will be that way also .. Bad vacuum system means bad performance .These have an economy meter in the dash console its a clear sign of a good vacuum system .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom