190D Auto with sticky gear change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Highfiddleedee

Car
1991 300TD, 1989 300TE, 1988 190D 2.5 Auto, 1965 Land Rover Series 3 SWBVer
I have just bought an 88 190D which is generally in great order, and past MOT on Saturday. The only problem is that, when cold, changing to 3 or 4th gears, it will pause and then engage with a bit of a thump. It seems to be mostly when the car is warming up, but not necessarily so. But it is capable of very smooth changes. I'm thinking of.
1. Changing ATF and filter. (Can I use any ATF or should I use only MBs, and how much?)
2. Adding a drop of Lucas Oil stabiliser before changing the oil to see if it makes any difference?
Has anyone any ideas on this?

i would just change the fluid, ensure you get it all out of the torque converter too, it has its own drain plug and usually has more oil in that than the sump.

Changing the ATF may well help, the box takes 5.5 litres. A hard shift is better than a slipping one, at the very worst it should be able to be adjusted out at the modulator, check the vacuum pipe to the gearbox is ok.

Thanks guys for the advice. I will change the fluid on Saturday and let you know how it goes.

I priced a filter and gasket for the job - MB £34.00, GSF £11.00, - bit of a difference!

Changing the ATF may well help, the box takes 5.5 litres. A hard shift is better than a slipping one, at the very worst it should be able to be adjusted out at the modulator, check the vacuum pipe to the gearbox is ok.
Well, the oil change went well. Notice that the gear change only seems to be a problem changing up with revs below 2500, so, that vacuum pipe is looking a bit more suspect! Where exactly is it? With revs on the clock, the gear change is really quite smooth the way it should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom