190E 2.5-16... OEM Springs??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dee-124CAB

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercs Mercs Mercs....
Fellas, this summers mini project for the Cosworth is a slight freshening up of the suspension...

Stock, factory, OEM items is what i am after, but obviously not at MB Main dealer prices for a set of Springs...

Tried ECP and they list a pair of Sachs rear Springs at a reasonable price....

Are these Sachs items OEM quality?... Who made the original Springs and any other suggestions would be much appreciated?

TIA Dee

Boge/Sachs are the originals.

I just priced them up at merc and they have doubled in price since I last bought some 3 years ago !!:eek:

Almost £90 each for the fronts and almost £110 each for the rears !!

Last edited:
Tried ECP and they list a pair of Sachs rear Springs at a reasonable price....

Make sure they are actually a replacement for the OE springs with SLS. Plenty of supplies list rear springs for 2.3's & 2.5's but they are for retro fit shocks rather than SLS.

Bear in mind too it's a really good time to upgrade your front suspension, I when for H&R fronts (20mm drop) and Bilstein B6 shocks instead of OE, glad I did too. The rear I left the original springs and just renewed the spheres and adjusted the height control valve, dropping the car at rear by 10-15mm.

P.s. Don't forget to replace both front shock top mounts, can make a big difference especially with new shocks fitted.

The plan is to replace all 4 springs and the front shock top mounts and the anti roll bar bushes.... then anything else that is tired upon inspection....

A sensible approach going forward is one I prefer rather than just replace everything for the sake of it, as such a cavilair approach with three classics would ruin me! Lol.

Ok, as Sachs was a oem supplier I will follow
Euros up and investigate weather they are suitable for the SLS system and also find about availability about the fronts...

Will go main dealer for the top mounts and bushes though...

Dee

A sensible approach going forward is one I prefer rather than just replace everything for the sake of it, as such a cavilair approach with three classics would ruin me! Lol.

So, why are you replacing the rear springs? After all rears do less work than the fronts generally and even less work inconjunction with the SLS. Also too, Lemforder top mounts can be purchased for as little as €21 from Germany.

Anyway, it's great motor and glad to hear you are not skimping on doing the work. Enjoy.

According to this there is one size only +2 pad thickness for the self levellling setup. A2013243204 spring and two pads 13mm blue A2013251044 and 18mm red A2013251144 -----MIGHT BE WORTH DOING A SEARCH ON THAT PART NO?

Spring Charts

So, why are you replacing the rear springs? After all rears do less work than the fronts generally and even less work inconjunction with the SLS. Also too, Lemforder top mounts can be purchased for as little as €21 from Germany.

I actually forgot to mention, but during the last MOT the car was issued with an advisory that said that rear springs were corroded or something to that effect!... Upon inspection they do look like they been residing next to the Titanic and being 25 years old, understandably could do with a change, the fronts look only slightly better.... Im sure she'll benifit from it, especially as the handling is such an important aspect of these models

Anyway, it's great motor and glad to hear you are not skimping on doing the work. Enjoy.

She's been a great car over the 5 years iv owned her, so well deserved of abit of loving...

I replaced all the springs on my 2.5 16 about three months ago using MB parts - after discount (ask and you shall receive - I got mine from Rivervale in Brighton who'll have them shipped) the fronts were £71 each and the rears £69. What I thought I needed was not what their system threw up so be careful, there are lots of permutations. The correct front spring for mine should have been 2013212904 but they are no longer available, so 2013212804 were substituted.

Luckily the last owner replaced just about every suspension component on mine before I bought it. Mb Edinburgh charged £ 5k for the job!

I replaced all the springs on my 2.5 16 about three months ago using MB parts - after discount (ask and you shall receive - I got mine from Rivervale in Brighton who'll have them shipped) the fronts were £71 each and the rears £69. What I thought I needed was not what their system threw up so be careful, there are lots of permutations. The correct front spring for mine should have been 2013212904 but they are no longer available, so 2013212804 were substituted.

Wow, what a discount!.. Well done that man! :)

Wish i had your skills in negotiating such a discount...

Of course, I will be ringing Hughes of Beaconsfield as a matter of course now!... will also be handy to get the revised part numbers of them too, if required...

Cheers for the input..

Far less good than I made it out to be - I checked the line item on the invoice but forgot the Vat - so add on 20% (which I did pay, honest).

Lol... Still not bad price at all.

Do you remember what manufacturer they were by any chance?

UPDATE:

Well luck dealt me a bitter blow...

Totally coincidal that the priority had shifted to the suspension recently and all of a sudden an SLS pipe, right near the rear driver side jacking point sprung a leak! :mad:

After alot of research on the interweb, a localised repair of the corroded section seemed a viable solution....

So next was who to entrust? researching on the forum lead me to Finch Motors in Brentford, who have received some favourable reviews from forum members, dropped the car down to them and the report back is that one pipe is corroded in various places and thus is only worth replacing the whole pipe.... but also as the other pipes are next to it, might as well change them too as it wont be too long before they follow suit too...so thats ALL three pipes that run along the car, plus a fourth one that attaches to the diff?

Everything else SLS wise was deemed in good health....

Time to bite the bullet me thinks....

Its not as bad as it sounds. The pipe can be bought from MB or any trade hose place will make it up for you.

Best to do it all in one hit though.

Agreed ^^

All four pipes come in at about £270 from MB.... and will then require bending to fit, as they come in straight pieces from MB...

The three main pipes are about £200 all in....

Might seem a little annoyng now as funds were there to do the springs, but I suppose piece of mind is priceless...

Update: Car returned from garage with the 3 main SLS pipes changed, all relevant clips renewed and fluid renewed and the additional pipe that goes into the rear diff changed.

Work carried out seems to be to original MB specifications....

Overall, pleased with Finch Motors..

Is it OK to substitute A2013212904 for A2013212804?

Surely there must be a difference if MB gave 2 different part numbers? As everybody has mentioned you cannot buy A2013212904 from MB anymore.

Cheers

Be advised that I have tested MB spring rates on a spring tester and they are not reliable. If you can identify the spring rate you want you should buy it elsewhere; it's cheaper and technically better conforming to original specs. Hard to believe I know but true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom