190e 2.5-16

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charleseawright

Car
99 745i
I am reading on wiki that the cosworth cyl. head is basically dropped in on top of the existing mercedes w102 block. In this case, can you replace a damaged c mercedes 2.5-16 block with parts from the basic 190 block?

also. can you easily swap a more powerful uk head onto an american version of the 2.5(the one that was downgraded)

Can't help with your post but welcome to the forum.

I'm guessing you are from the US (we didn't have a E38 745!)?

yes. southeast, sweet tea capital
i am VERY interested in this publicly available racecar

In a nutshell:

- 2.3-16 bottom end is similar to an 8v M102 2.3, but not identical. For an obvious start the pistons are pocketed for the multivalve head (4x cutouts on each)
- 2.5-16 was never sold in the US. The cranks are different and they stroked the engine for the additional ~ 200cc
- US spec 16v cars aren't restricted solely by the cylinder heads. I believe that aside from a lower compression ratio, they were also restricted electronically (different fuel pump relay with a lower rev limit etc)

Might be of interest that the Evolution varients were bored out for the additional displacement rather than stroking the 2.3 engine. With this shorter stroke 2.5-16 engine they are more rev-happy and redline higher than a regular 2.5-16.

Mechanical work on these is easy if you know how, bodywork and interior condition are the biggest obstacles to a good example these days IMHO.

Will

Mercedes-190.co.uk just found this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom