190e 2.5-16v AUTO G/BOX DIPSTICK TUBE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hambleford

Car
MB 190E 2.5-16V
Hello Everyone
Has anyone any experience of replacing the gearbox dipstick tube. I have recently had my gearbox overhauled (3 months ago), the garage failed to fit the dipstick tube screw to the engine. As a result the tube has fractured. I need to be be able to extract the section still attached to the gearbox. My question is if I find I cannot withdraw this section due to limited access if I were to remove the gearbox sump cover does this expose the tube and am I able to tap the tube out from below. Also could you cofirm if there is a seal fitted between the tube and where it is attached to the gearbox. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies this may not be the most helpful of replies. Could you not go back to the garage that messed it up?

The dipstick tube is a push fit into the gearbox casing together with an O ring seal. You should not have to remove the sump to free it. Renew the O ring seal A0169972948 [190]and the retaining screw N 000912 006066 [240] at the same time. You must observe great cleanliness when doing this. You might be able to access the base of the tube from beneath the car- or you may have to fabricate/use long extension tools to achieve this.
ps it might help to drop the rear of the engine a bit by undoing the prop shaft and the gear box cross-member not sure? but best avoided if at all possible.:dk: You could also try asking on this 190 forum Gearbox & Clutch

Last edited:
190e 2.5-16v gearbox dipstick tube

Hello Everyone
Thanks to those who kindly responded to my problem. Having viewed the task from underneath the car I shall be contacting the garage who carried out the g'box overhaul tomorrow for their comments. Once again thanks.
Best Regards
Ken Wilkinson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom