190e 2.5 or 2.3 Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevesx

Car
C250 CDI Est
I am looking to buy a Cosworth and wondered if anyone had advice on what to look for with either the 2.3 or the 2.5. Thanks in advance if you do!

What to look for.

Rust around parcel shelf.
Rust in wheel arches
Rust under body kit (lots)
Rust around jacking points - can go all the way up into the arches
cylinder compression (should be 180 psi) - low compression means valves are coked and if very heavily coked, head will need coming off to be cleaned up and valves (and stems etc) replaced - 16 of them. Poor cold starting is a sign of this also, but could be idle control.
Play in steering around the centre - needs steering box refurb
Suspension - ride should be fluid not hard. If hard, lots of bushes and most probably shocks and control arms will need replacing.
There should be no play in the wishbones
If ride hard at the rear, shocks and spheres plus bushes
Wandering can also mean poor alignment as well as bad suspension
Gearbox being notchy isn't a fault unless it is really difficult to get into gear, in which case bushes and linkages need checking.
If knocking on hard lock engine mounts will need doing.
Check fan clutch and condition of radiator.
Check throttle linkage

If it's on large wheels don't accept explanation of hard ride being down to wheel size - standard is 15 inch, mines on 16 inch AMGs and very comfortable.

How do I know? I have a 2.5 that has had all that done (bodywork prior to ownership) everything mechanical since.

Symptoms of a good one, immensely revvy all the way up to 7000rpm with ever increasing sound of steel being cut. Nice fluid comfortable Mercedes ride. Sharp precise handling and steering. A flat out great drive.

If the car has a full service history, check that suspension has been maintained and valves have been cleaned in accordance with guidance.

Mine has cost me close to £10k to get right at retail rates. Don't cut corners and buy a cheap one, you are letting yourself in for disappointment.

What's your budget?

Last edited:
W124 website - Nick FRoome - has one coming up but no pictures or specification yet. May be worth a look?

You should find some OK for that, I'd get on with it quickly though, they are rising rapidly.

The last time I looked, Charles ^^ was selling his and with what he's spent on getting the car tip-top, it would be a great purchase and a sound investment imo.

Bit late! Sold last week, being collected by new owner on Monday. I was rather surprised by how quickly it went at the asking price (more than the op's budget by a fair whack), but then I had done everything.

The money will be ploughed back into my W114 restoration.

Hopefully my Fiat and my Allard will go as quickly.

Last edited:
I was rather surprised by how quickly it went at the asking price (more than the op's budget by a fair whack), but then I had done everything.

Judging by how much money you had to spend on it, I don't find it that hard to believe that you sold it relatively quick and for your asking price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom