190e 2.6 buyers guide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k langdon

Car
1993 Mercedes E300 diesel estate
Hi,

Can anyone give me some tips as to what to look out for when buying one of these.

I understand an oil weep on the front cover is common but nothing to worry about - is this true? What about the head gasket?

Thanks

inspect the paperwork as carefully as the car!

Basically the same as for all 190,s 2.6 is no different. numerous posts on this in the forum so do a search.
engine cylinder head gasket, :eek: hydraulic tappets/cam
transmission autobox :eek:
brakes front/rear discs scored corroded
suspension broken front springs :eek: shockersall round.
front roll bar bushes rear suspension links
cooling system clean 50/50 mix antifreeze/water
interior some had leather but rare.
instruments all work
sunroof works :eek:
minor rust on body only
wheels/tyres in good condition alloys standard.
catalyst ok :eek:
winscreen wiper mechanism ok

but forget all those!!! look for a car with good provenance extensive service history bills mots etc. :) :) is it a clean original car that's been looked after? no body kits wide wheels lowered etc etc ;) preferably with few owners 2,3 in number. Look at the owner as well as the car :eek: that will tell you a lot. If a dealeris selling it get the previous owners tel no and find out a bit of its recent history. GOOD LUCK

Ex 2.6 owner here: somethings to look out for that affected me.

Head gasket (£600+ to repair)
Diff whining noise
Door inserts to be in good condition
Working electric windows
Driver's seat sag
Corrosion in wiring loom
Water pump

I had one.

Head gasket needed doing because was pissing oil out the side of the gasket, to the extent that the oil light came on on the motorway once.

Electric window motors fail.

The clips that held the handbrake shoes onto the backing plate were getting fouled by the wheelnuts on mine, making a lot of noise.

Autobox clunked.

However, lovely car to drive when it worked. It had power and handling. Would love to try a manual one, or a manual cossie.

wrong wheel bolts

You probably had the wrong wheel bolts. the alloy wheel bolts are longer than the the ones for steel wheels. likewise some aftermarket alloy wheels are thinner in cross section than genuine merc alloys allowing the merc bolts further into the hub and fouling the innards. :crazy: :crazy: Saw a recent example of that at my local dealer where some-one had changed an alloy wheel on a jeep grand cherokee for a steel spare without using the shorter bolts. result £700 of transmission and suspension damage ouch!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Robby said:
The clips that held the handbrake shoes onto the backing plate were getting fouled by the wheelnuts on mine, making a lot of noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom