190e 2.6 - Manual 1988

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon1966

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
219 Vito Sport Crew Van
I'm not too sure on the body kit, does anyone know what kit it is?
Have to say I do like the red interior though!

Red seats do look good! Would have preferred maybe on a black one though 🙌🏾💪🏾👌🏾

Bodykit could be Zender possibly?

Pre facelift so no Sacco panels. Personally i would prefer it without the kit as god knows what is under those sill covers.

Wheels not period either. Needs some 16" Evo 1 15 holes on there. Wind up windows is an odd feature for a 2.6 as well.

Last edited:
Yeah I thought it was odd with wind up windows. Would have expected electric windows especially in the front. I’m not keen on the body kit and as you say may be hiding all sorts. I like the red interior though against the silver.

Whats the problem with manual windows, less to go wrong in an old car.
Not keen on body kit or weels.

Agree nothing wrong with wind up windows. Just thought an MB from that period would have had electric as standard, but then MB always liked to charge for extras.

For such an expensive car when new it is odd that a 2.6 would not have been specced with at least front electric windows. My 2.5 diesel has all round electric windows & electric sunroof.

You are not wrong though when it comes to old Mercedes electric windows being problematic though as i am sure many of us will know all too well.:)

Prefacelift w201s did not even come with a radio as standard ! I've seen 201s with Air Con (1500 quid option) manual windows and no radio ! Mercedes buyers in them days were a strange lot !

Pretty much everything was extra in those days and very costly. There are plenty of 201s or 124s in Italy with AC or even full climate on the 124s but with steel wheels, keep fit windows and manual gearbox.

I have the build sheet (Wartungsheft) for my 1991 w201 190d and it has the following options...

286 luggage nets on seat backs
341 additional turn signals (front wings?)
400 folding armrest
412 electric tilt slide sunroof
467 uk speedo & central locking
524 paintcoat preservation
584 electric windows f&r
593 heat insulated glass & band filter (top tint w/screen?)
613 rhd headlights
876 lamp in rear (above rear seat?)

Here is a website to decipher your option codes..

Last edited:
So you had to pay extra for an MPH speedo & UK legal headlamps? :oops:

I think it depends on your priorities, I would far rather have air con than alloy wheels or electric windows to stay within budget.

I think it’s expensive for what it is.

The prices for decent W201s have really climbed in recent years but there’s a lot of average stuff that I think is being priced above it’s weight. It’s a low spec 2.6 with an aftermarket bodykit, not a rarity. I’ve not seen the car in the flesh but have seen photos showing various small dents/chips etc, rust around the arches, budget tyres - not a £10k car IMHO.

It also just looks like it’s been shined up with silicone spray and painted recently - boot badges in the wrong place, looks like masking lines around the OSR light and where the rear panel meets the back quarter - could be my eyes there but definitely not on the other points.

The standard and optional spec varied a bit over the years, but I found this from the UK price lists which I saved ages back and would have been from somewhere around 1990 approx:

78835629-D33F-459F-AAE1-26A3F787BD5C.jpeg

In the early days, as said, everything was an option. It’s what made MBs interesting - very few early W201s were the same, all built to order. I’ve seen base model cars with stuff like orthopaedic seats and self levelling rear suspension, air con, electric memory seats and airbags on mid-early 80s models etc. You could spec them how you liked. And when you found a really high spec car it was usually a very special car. I think it was probably possible to spec a 201 up to almost entry level S-class territory, certainly well into 124 prices.

Simon - dependant on your budget and intended use, I’d hold out for either a nice 16v or a 2.6 sportline, and not worry too much about the mileage - focus on condition, originality and history IMO. The 16v is the driver’s choice, a 2.6 is a relaxing cruiser with a creamy smooth straight six and mates well to the autobox.

The prices for decent W201s have really climbed in recent years but there’s a lot of average stuff that I think is being priced above it’s weight. It’s a low spec 2.6 with an aftermarket bodykit, not a rarity. I’ve not seen the car in the flesh but have seen photos showing various small dents/chips etc, rust around the arches, budget tyres - not a £10k car IMHO.

It also just looks like it’s been shined up with silicone spray and painted recently - boot badges in the wrong place, looks like masking lines around the OSR light and where the rear panel meets the back quarter - could be my eyes there but definitely not on the other points.

The standard and optional spec varied a bit over the years, but I found this from the UK price lists which I saved ages back and would have been from somewhere around 1990 approx:

View attachment 95770

In the early days, as said, everything was an option. It’s what made MBs interesting - very few early W201s were the same, all built to order. I’ve seen base model cars with stuff like orthopaedic seats and self levelling rear suspension, air con, electric memory seats and airbags on mid-early 80s models etc. You could spec them how you liked. And when you found a really high spec car it was usually a very special car. I think it was probably possible to spec a 201 up to almost entry level S-class territory, certainly well into 124 prices.

Simon - dependant on your budget and intended use, I’d hold out for either a nice 16v or a 2.6 sportline, and not worry too much about the mileage - focus on condition, originality and history IMO. The 16v is the driver’s choice, a 2.6 is a relaxing cruiser with a creamy smooth straight six and mates well to the autobox.

Nice work Will.
I'm not really looking as such as I still have my E55K wagon, and the more I think about it the more I think I will keep it. I do not even need a car tbh which is why I was originally looking to sell my car, but I do like older MB's from mid 90's and earlier and the simple classic lines of 201's and 124's always catch my eye.

The other 2.6 sportline I posted up is a far nicer looking car.
https://www.mtsv.co.uk/info/w201190e26slar.htm
To me though both seem massively overpriced. Of course that is all down to what someone is willing to pay, but I have seen very nice 2.6 sportlines sell for £6.5K with similar mileage only a matter of months ago.

The other 2.6 sportline I posted up is a far nicer looking car.
https://www.mtsv.co.uk/info/w201190e26slar.htm
To me though both seem massively overpriced. Of course that is all down to what someone is willing to pay, but I have seen very nice 2.6 sportlines sell for £6.5K with similar mileage only a matter of months ago.

Another few quid and you could have had my old one Simon ;)

View attachment 95770

My god velour upholstery was an expensive option.

When i was hunting for a w201 around 2011 i looked at many examples and always came back to the slightly tattier original paintwork examples instead of so called restored cars.

Not sure it is that easy to find original cars nowadays though but do not discount the cheap end of the market as there still may be some hidden gems. The uk 190 forum has a great buyers guide.

I joined the 190 forum yesterday and it looks a good source of info :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom