190E 2.6 Manual conversion - What's needed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MatBat

Car
1993 280TE - Soon to have a 3.6 AMG engine fitted.
Hi all,

I just wondered what parts were needed to convert from Auto to Manual in a 190 and if there is a difference in fitting between using a standard manual or a dogleg box. The last car I converted was an E30 325i and that was about 15 years ago in a shed when I lived in New Zealand.

So far I've deduced I need:

- Gearbox (duh)
- Gearstick including linkages (are these the same for the dogleg and "normal" 5spd?)
- Clutch (would the clutch for the 2.6 work with any manual W201 box?)
- Flywheel (from a W201 2.6 or W124 260e)
- Pedal box (it's my understanding that the W201 and W124 pedal box is the same)
- Propshaft (front part from any manual W201/W124)
- Hydraulic pipes
- Bolts for the manual gearbox (I assume they are a different length to the auto bolts)
- Gearbox Crossmember from a manual car

So have I done my research correctly or am I missing anything?

Many thanks in advance!

Many years back I converted a mk4 cortina from auto to manual due to a goosed auto transmission. I was amazed at how many differences there were from one to the other. The transmission 'hump' differed to accommodate the selector lever, even the crankshaft differed! There were many other issues as well. I was lucky that I had a donor car.
I'm not suggesting that there would be that many differences on a MB but you never know! You seem to have a fairly comprehensive list of requirements there but perhaps if you could lay your hands on a donor manual car? Just a thought.

Thanks Saff,

The trouble is, manual 2.6 190Es are thin on the ground and too expensive to chop up these days.

I guess a 2.0 manual would supply nearly all the components needed and that might be an option, although I'd still need a the flywheel from a 2.6 and I was kinda hoping to fit a dogleg box.

In addition to the manual box I'll be fitting a 3.0 M103 at the same time.

Thanks Saff,

The trouble is, manual 2.6 190Es are thin on the ground and too expensive to chop up these days.

I guess a 2.0 manual would supply nearly all the components needed and that might be an option, although I'd still need a the flywheel from a 2.6 and I was kinda hoping to fit a dogleg box.

In addition to the manual box I'll be fitting a 3.0 M103 at the same time.
Wow! Quite a project. There's loads of expertise and experience on this forum so good luck.

I’m pretty sure the linkages are different from the Getrag boxes and the regular manuals. If you go for a Getrag the shifter is different too (and hard to find/expensive!)

Possibly diff (ratio), speedo cable.

Some wiring/electronics for sure - the Auto box will have the inhibitor switch for starter lockout etc, possibly the EZL would be different, maybe fuel pump relay etc.

Maybe the exhaust bracket bit in the centre? A few vacuum pipes will need tidying up etc. Likewise the radiator will have the oil cooler connectors to deal with (it’s a different radiator if you’re keen)

Might be your preference but I think the auto box suits the smooth straight six perfectly, whereas the revvy 4-cylinder (16v) cars benefit from the Getrag 5-speed but horses for courses I guess :)

Have you considered selling and buying a good condition manual car instead or is the current vehicle special spec/condition wise etc? Originality is a consideration as these cars become older etc :cool:

I love a manual me but the offset pedals on a 190 just make it shite to drive. The auto box suits the 3.0 litre m103 just fine. Really don't do it !

I take it you have a 2.6 already and the difference between the 2.6 and 3.0 litre really is night and day despite only being 20 bhp more

All great advice chaps.

I'm still in the process of acquiring a 190 (looking for a 2.6 Sportline) so still in the information gathering stage.

My main reason for wanting the manual is that I just prefer the interaction and living a stones throw from Goodwood means a few trackdays are likely too.

I'm fairly handy with the spanners and electrics so the work involved is not a great concern and I could keep the original parts should originality suddenly become a concern.

Thank you again for all the tips and advice. A great community we have here!

Mate. If you are going down the manual route you really want a 300 24v engine - it's the only 6 pot that suits the manual box. Can always put you in touch with the person who bought my Cossie kitted 2.6 manual with a 300 24v engine fitted .... You never know he might consider selling it !!!!!

It could be easier to convert a manual 2.6 to fresh sportline (or otherwise) suspension spec than starting with an automatic 2.6 which will likely be tired generally suspension wise - opens your options anyway?

The steering box is probably one of the only items that would be tricky to find, the others should be straightforward to upgrade/replace as necessary.

To be honest a 2.6 isn’t really a track car. They’re comfy little cruisers, but obviously the straight six is quite a lump relative to the size of the car. I think you’d love a 16-valve (2.3-16/2.5-16) if you were lucky enough to find one perhaps needing some work in budget :cool:

Or the 300-24 conversion above sounds interesting, would be pretty pokey for a 190E I’d have thought too :thumb:

Good luck with the search :)

Mate. If you are going down the manual route you really want a 300 24v engine - it's the only 6 pot that suits the manual box. Can always put you in touch with the person who bought my Cossie kitted 2.6 manual with a 300 24v engine fitted .... You never know he might consider selling it !!!!!

That might be an option!! I have the 2.8 M104 in my current car, it's w cracker of an engine. If your friend is open to selling I'd be very interested to know more.

I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading that the later 6 speed Merc manual gearbox bolts on to the earlier engines. Might be worth exploring?

Hi all,

I just wondered what parts were needed to convert from Auto to Manual in a 190 and if there is a difference in fitting between using a standard manual or a dogleg box. The last car I converted was an E30 325i and that was about 15 years ago in a shed when I lived in New Zealand.

So far I've deduced I need:

- Gearbox (duh)
- Gearstick including linkages (are these the same for the dogleg and "normal" 5spd?)
- Clutch (would the clutch for the 2.6 work with any manual W201 box?)
- Flywheel (from a W201 2.6 or W124 260e)
- Pedal box (it's my understanding that the W201 and W124 pedal box is the same)
- Propshaft (front part from any manual W201/W124)
- Hydraulic pipes
- Bolts for the manual gearbox (I assume they are a different length to the auto bolts)
- Gearbox Crossmember from a manual car

So have I done my research correctly or am I missing anything?

Many thanks in advance!
W201 2.6 manual cars are anything but uncommon . Just look for a donor car with everything you may need .

Try mercedes-190.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom