190e 2.6 Sportline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is a 2.6 on Gumtree at the moment.

There is a 2.6 on Gumtree at the moment.

Looks ok, not sure what’s sportline about it though. Guess it may have the suspension? Only looking on my phone, but paint looks mismatched on passenger side. Can’t do mot check either but if it’s got 30 stamps, sounds a good start.

Slim ensure it is a c36 nothing lesser !!

a c36 lump in a w201 sportline would be ideal:D I just prefer the boxier shape of the 201’s and 124’s over the 202’s.

As much as I like these cars, there seems to be a lot of pretty average looking examples asking £5/10k etc. I think people think because the collectible 2.3/2.5-16 ‘Cosworths’ have rocketed in value that that all of the regular ones are worth that sort of money as a result.

Of course there will be the odd high spec/low mileage/immaculate condition cars that will be worth strong money but everyone’s jumping on the bandwagon trying to get £5k+ for cars that in my opinion need the same again spent on them.

Agree on the Gumtree car - mismatched paint, cloth seats, scraped bumpers front and back, budget tyres, a towbar? What’s not to like for £5k :D

As much as I like these cars, there seems to be a lot of pretty average looking examples asking £5/10k etc. I think people think because the collectible 2.3/2.5-16 ‘Cosworths’ have rocketed in value that that all of the regular ones are worth that sort of money as a result.

Of course there will be the odd high spec/low mileage/immaculate condition cars that will be worth strong money but everyone’s jumping on the bandwagon trying to get £5k+ for cars that in my opinion need the same again spent on them.

Agree on the Gumtree car - mismatched paint, cloth seats, scraped bumpers front and back, budget tyres, a towbar? What’s not to like for £5k :D

I think you’re 100% right Will. People seem to think an average car is worth 5-10K. To me for a 2.6 to be getting even close to £10K it would need to be something special.

I find it very off putting to see ditch-finders given how cheap tyres are for 190 15’s. Literally £5 per wheel extra would get you a respectable brand.

Reactions: SG1
Turns out the car is only round the corner from me, so I will arrange to go and see it. Seller sounds genuine.

Be sure to report back :)

Saw this pop up the other day - looks like a nice example :)

w201's for me will always just be cheap reliable old cars. Buy on condition not model. Mileage is totally irrelevant at this age.

Still plenty of totally original w201's sitting around in the UK as they wear the miles and years very well.

Buy cheap and then replace all the suspension links, bushes and front ball joints and you will have years of reliable motoring.

Seems to me people ask twice the money they can reasonably expect to get for a w201 for some reason. Especially the 2.6 and valvers as they are seen as the desirable models at the moment so plenty of these are bodged up for sale. The smart money will be on the other models in genuine original condition as they will be the next ones to gain value.

w201's for me will always just be cheap reliable old cars. Buy on condition not model. Mileage is totally irrelevant at this age.

Still plenty of totally original w201's sitting around in the UK as they wear the miles and years very well.

Buy cheap and then replace all the suspension links, bushes and front ball joints and you will have years of reliable motoring.

Seems to me people ask twice the money they can reasonably expect to get for a w201 for some reason. Especially the 2.6 and valvers as they are seen as the desirable models at the moment so plenty of these are bodged up for sale. The smart money will be on the other models in genuine original condition as they will be the next ones to gain value.
You could be right, but it’s only the 2.6 and Cossies that hold any appeal to me with a w201. I think I’d just find lesser engined models a bit wanting.

I think the gumtree one is worth a look.

The mismatched paint may be a shadow or reflection, it’s only on the front half of the door, the towbar at least isn’t a horrible flange one, and if the history story is true it could be a genuine rust free one.

The dealers would change these downsides and trouble you for twice the asking price, if the history stacks up.

Agreed the interior isn’t the most inspiring, and ditch finders are a major turn off.

I think the gumtree one is worth a look.

The mismatched paint may be a shadow or reflection, it’s only on the front half of the door, the towbar at least isn’t a horrible flange one, and if the history story is true it could be a genuine rust free one.

The dealers would change these downsides and trouble you for twice the asking price, if the history stacks up.

Agreed the interior isn’t the most inspiring, and ditch finders are a major turn off.
I have read online that Channel Island cars are not subject to an annual MOT test. If true this would be something to consider in terms of possible lack of maintenance over the years.

You could be right, but it’s only the 2.6 and Cossies that hold any appeal to me with a w201. I think I’d just find lesser engined models a bit wanting.
Engine swap? Honda S2000 motor or an mot fail w124 300 could provide power aplenty.

There’s a 2.6 listed @ anglia car auctions which looks gorgeous although no a/c.
Is that a sportline hump in the boot floor? Chassis number is in the advert.

Last edited:
Is that a sportline hump in the boot floor? Chassis number is in the advert.

Looks a nice car. I reckon ride height would suggest sportline suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom