190E '89 fuel pump relay

Discussion in 'Engine' started by alfie07, Sep 6, 2008.

1. alfie07

alfie07 Banned

I am struggling to locate a fuel pump relay for the above. Can anyone suggest where I could try. I am initially wanting second hand, as I am trying to eliminate and on going problem of engine cutting out.

Thanks

2. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Have you tried resoldering the printed circuit board connections on the old one?

3. neilrr

neilrr MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Various.
    I have several W201 & W124 FPRs. What engine size & what part number?

4. OP
    OP
    alfie07

alfie07 Banned

Hubby away, will get back to you asap as soon as I can get help with finding this info out - thanks

5. OP
    OP
    alfie07

alfie07 Banned

Neilrr

I have found this so far - Chassis number begins WDB201 1997CC - first registered Feb '90 - no part number as yet - is this of any help

Regards

6. neilrr

neilrr MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Various.
    Hi,

If it's a 2.0 litre auto it'll almost certainly be part number 003 545 20 05. Check & let me know.

7. OP
    OP
    alfie07

alfie07 Banned

Neil

Its a 1997CC Auto - the relay is black in colour and sits behind the battery

regards

8. OP
    OP
    alfie07

alfie07 Banned

Neil

The number on the casing is pretty smudge - however, here goes - 3.301.30?

K.A.E. GF30

regards

9. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    The fuel pump relay is normally marked 4 zyl. Kickdown 12V etc. KAE stands for KAEHLER who used to make relays for MERC

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  10. neilrr

neilrr MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Various.
    It should look something like this & I'm looking for the number after the MB logo.

[​IMG]

11. OP
    OP
    alfie07

alfie07 Banned

I am sorry about this Neil, but it would appear that the relay that is on the vehicle is not a genuine part. The only number that is on it is the one I gave, and even at that it seems it has been put on with tippex, and there is no Merc logo. Without the correct information, I guess it will be difficult for you to help me, however, I do thank you for your time and patience.

Regards

12. neilrr

neilrr MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Various.
    Alfie,

The FPR in the photo is from a 1990 190E 2.0 auto. If that's what your car is then this is the relay you need.

You can call a Merc dealer tomorrow & ask them for the part number to double check. You'll have to give them your VIN.

13. OP
    OP
    alfie07

alfie07 Banned

Neil

Checked with the Merc dealers this morning and they are saying that because it doesn't have air condition and no cat the relay I want is
    001 545 7805. They did quote the one in your photo, but they are saying that is if it has a cat, which, as I have mentioned, it doesn't.

Would be grateful for your thoughts on this, and if you have one.

Thanks

14. neilrr

neilrr MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Various.
    Alfie,

I've never seen a 190E with that fuel pump relay number (& I've seen a lot of 190s). It might be a new number as they rationalise.

Perhaps someone who owns a non-cat 2.0 190E could look & see what the part number on their FPR is for you.

15. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    GL63 AMG / S211 E55K AMG / 190E 2.3-16 / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    Why not put the VIN into the online parts website and see what comes up for the part number?

I'd be surprised if Neil's relay wasn't suitable.

Where abouts are you located?

Will

16. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    They are correct, that is the right one according to EPC.

17. OP
    OP
    alfie07

alfie07 Banned

Thank you for all your help and advice - From enquiries made I think this is the correct part number - I live in Lancashire, by the way.
    All this messing about is to try and pin point an ongoing problem that this vehicle has. It can be running like a dream for weeks on end and then all of a sudden it is continually cutting out - on the m/way at speed, at average speeds. There is just no telling when it is going to happen. It can continue this for days, and then all of a sudden it will right itself again. Hubby is desperately trying to save its life, me, I am seriously fed up with it, no fun when you are in the outside lane.

18. neilrr

neilrr MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Various.
    That sounds like a break in the solder. Can you remove the black box that covers & protects the PCB & examine it for any obvious cracks / gaps? If you see one a simple re-solder should fix it..

Also, if it's a non-MB FPR (something I've never seen in a Merc) that is an obvious candidate for the cause of your problem.

19. W210 Fan

W210 Fan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W140 S500L W208 430