190E Cosworth 2.5 16V manual

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rare front grill due to nobody wanting one? My 2.6 had one, needless to say it went in the bin for a standard one. Horrible grill.

Did they ever produce a 190E Cosworth Auto?

Did they ever produce a 190E Cosworth Auto?

Yes, I've got a 2.5-16 automatic & a 2.3-16 automatic.

They're quite rare now.

The 2.3-16 was ordered by JP Morgan for one of their City whizz kids back in 1986 with every single option that was available then. Only one with such options I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Agree the grill makes it look cheap, I think the standard grills suit them much better than the big badge grill,

I am wrong is saying only 2.3's are "Cosworth"s or is that some nonsense.

I am wrong is saying only 2.3's are "Cosworth"s or is that some nonsense.

Pretty much, yes, although calling a Mercedes-Benz 190e 2.3-16V a Cosworth for short upsets some of the diehard fans who conveniently forget that if there wasn't the Cosworth connection, they'd barely be worth half of what they are now/will be.

I had the chance of buying one a couple of year ago and really regret it now, not from a value point of view but because of the history and the Cosworth connection.

It amazes me the amount of people who seem to know so much about these cars having never owned or worked on any of them :eek:

Yes, the 2.3 and 2.5 were both available with an automatic gearbox.

No, the 2.5-16 heads were also cast by Cosworth. The earlier 2.3 engine was type designated 'WAA' and the larger 2.5 engine was 'WAB'

Neither cars were ever sold or marketed as 'Cosworths' though... :rolleyes:

(I've owned several and still have a 2.3 and 2.5 at the moment :D)

Pretty much, yes, although calling a Mercedes-Benz 190e 2.3-16V a Cosworth for short upsets some of the diehard fans who conveniently forget that if there wasn't the Cosworth connection, they'd barely be worth half of what they are now/will be.

What a load of...

Nothing wrong or incorrect about calling a car by it's correct name for starters, far from it in actual fact. Now advertising it for sale or looking for some bragging rights down the pub, the Cosworth name must be included by all accounts - that seems to gel well with your post. Secondly, over the last ten years or more 16V 190's have been excellent value (read cheap), even today they are relatively cheap so, buying one had nothing to do with increasing values as Only in the last few of years has there been a noticeable rise in values. Most current owners have had their 16V's well before any major rises in market values.

And one other point, any owners of 16V's are well aware of the Cosworth connection so why they'd 'conveniently forget about the connection' makes no sense at all, actually it's a stupid remark to make considering the engine is what really makes the car.

Given the prices Fords with Cosworth bits are getting I'm pretty delighted to call mine a Cosworth!

Ok, I would like one. SO if its 2.3 or 2.5 I can still say its a "Cosworth" type one?
Was there ever an AMG W201 from the factory? (Even if its AMG "line")

AMG wasn't owned by Mercedes back then.

Ok, I would like one.

Good for you. From a monetary viewpoint, I'd say the sooner the better as it's only now, well the last couple of years prices have started to rise just like a lot modern classics ('Youngtimers' in German parlance), what were six grand cars, now seem to be ten plus from what I've seen, some dealers have even had a few fifteen grand cars, for that money possibly only four or five years ago one could have purchased an EVO (1).

If you do go for it, view as many as possible and buy the very best that your budget will allow, it would be a nice & fitting stablemate for your C63 as well. ;)

AMG wasn't owned by Mercedes back then.
Yes, understand that, but I know the Museum in Stuttgart has a 190E AMG... what is it?

Last edited:
Good for you. From a monetary viewpoint, I'd say the sooner the better as it's only now, well the last couple of years prices have started to rise just like a lot modern classics ('Youngtimers' in German parlance), what were six grand cars, now seem to be ten plus from what I've seen, some dealers have even had a few fifteen grand cars, for that money possibly only four or five years ago one could have purchased an EVO (1).

If you do go for it, view as many as possible and buy the very best that your budget will allow, it would be a nice & fitting stablemate for your C63 as well. ;)

Can you still find any real EVO's?
There used to be a place in Norfolk sold LHD supercars like that and Lotus Omegas etc.
Dream car would be 2.3 with half leather.

Next spring is the timeline. Can do anything 'til I am released... I mean back from Australia.

Yes, understand that, but I know the Museum in Stuttgart has a 190E AMG... what is it?

I think , that AMG did a 3.2 190e

From wiki ...

AMG 1993 DTM competition car
AMG was not part of Mercedes-Benz when the 190 was first produced, but a separate racing and tuning company. As AMG had racing experience in the DTM, they were tuning all the factory petrol engines for the customers and 190 E was one of them. Engine tuning added 25 bhp (19 kW). They fitted aerodynamic features (spoilers) improving Cw and high speed stability, alloy wheels, leather interior and larger engines up to 6-litre V8's.

The 190 E 3.2 AMG was the first model sold through Mercedes-Benz dealerships with Mercedes-Benz new car warranty. About 200 complete cars were made, in black or silver: they were very expensive (about $90,000). Besides 200 complete 190 E 3.2 AMG's, Mercedes-Benz sold AMG body kits and 3.2l AMG engines separately, so there are 190's fitted with those features at the factory or retrofitted. Sporty 190E 3.2 AMG straight-six 12-valve engines produced 234 bhp (174 kW), and reached 260 km/h (162 mph).

A forum member has one.

If buying a 190 2.3 or 2.5 look out for, but not limited to, the following - rust in key body areas like sills (those body kits conceal numerous evils, around the parcel shelf, wings, underneath, jacking points). Check engine compression - should be 180 psi, valves coke up unless regularly done, cooling, suspension arms and bushes, play in the steering box etc. Mine has had a complete top end rebuild, suspension rebuilt with OEM parts, refurbished steering box, new heater matrix, air-con fans and the body was done and resprayed before I bought it.

It is now an absolute cracker of a car which revs all the way to 7000 and with a smaller steering wheel than the S class bus one it got originally it is one of the sharpest cars I have ever driven with a lovely ride to boot. The only things I need to do are get the gearbox linkages re-bushed and possibly a new sports exhaust - dear old MB dialled out much of the aural drama of the car.

I'm always happy to show off the car to people thinking about the 190 16 valve cars -
there are too many tired ones out there and having FSH does not mean the suspension, bodywork or valve work has been done. Without that they are pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom