190e Engine Cutting Out Intermittently

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MARKA

Hi all

First post so here goes

Just bought my second 190e, had the head gasket changed but while driving (after about 20 miles I would say) the engine suddenly starts stuttering and then when I pull up to a roundabout or junction the car will stall and then starts again. If the car is then stopped for a while and restarted again the problem MAY or MAY NOT come back, foe example drove to southampton today and it happened, drove back and all fine

Any help or advice much appreciated

It sounds very much like the problem i had after i had the tappets replaced on my car recently. In my case, the mechanic had broken one of the plug leads where it connects to the plug. When i opened the bonnet you could actually see the lead arcing from one plug to the other. A new set of leads cured the problem.

Id check all the leads and disdributor cap/rotor arm.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Stu

Last edited:
Hi and Welcome,

I had a similar problem a few years ago with a 190E, turned out to be a faulty fuel pump relay.

They are a fairly typical fault on this era of Mercedes-Benz and are easy to replace.

It should be located behind the battery area in the engine bay - near the builkhead. There is a plastic cover there which will need removing first.

Obviously there could be several other reasons for the fault that you are suffering, but it is worth checking this IMO :)

You can easily rule this out by linking two pins (30 & 87 from memory!)

Good luck in finding the fault,

Will

This is happening over & over to my dad's car, it's so frustrating 😬 Drives like a dream then cuts out 😡 Won't restart without an hour's rest. It's a 190e w201 1991 1.8 petrol
It's been to Stuttgart & Mercedes & neither seems to know what it is. A fab friend of mine has changed the fuel pump & cold start among loads of other stuff and is now going to change the fuel pump relay (thank you Will) and the air intake sensor. Any other suggestions, PLEASE suggest now 😥
Mel

Also, you'd think that garages, especially main dealers, would check forums like this for common faults!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom