190E hydraulic leak

Discussion in 'Engine' started by croozer, Apr 5, 2016.

1. croozer

croozer New Member

Car:
    190e
    Rank amateur here, so please excuse my ignorance:

I have a standard ´92 MB190E 2,3 with no extras. The hydraulic fluid reservoir (the one front right in the engine bay, next to the wiper fluid and coolant reservoirs) is empty. The lines are all rusted, and there is a leak somewhere. Other than the ASD light I have noticed no issues. Car drives like it always has.

Question: Other than the ASD, what are the hydraulics for?

2. gbjeppm

gbjeppm Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C207 E Coupe 350cdi, W166 ML 250 Cdi Sport, R171 SLK 350, Suzuki V Strom DL650
    It sounds like the reservoir for the Self Levelling Suspension, although I thought it was only standard in the 16v's and sometimes on the 2.6 of the 190.

Can you confirm what car you have?

3. gbjeppm

Car:
  4. OP
    OP
    croozer

croozer New Member

Car:
    190e
    Nope, no self leveling system.

5. gbjeppm

Car:
    Having done a bit of research if you have a 2.3 16v, which I guess you do as you have ASD.

Then you will have self levelling rear suspension, a pump and a hydraulic reservoir.

You will also have 2 spheres fed by the reservoir at the rear above the shocks.
    The system looks like this.

[​IMG]

6. OP
    OP
    croozer

croozer New Member

Car:
    190e
    Thanks, but it´s not a 16v, just a plain Jane 2.3

Tha ASD light came on, most likely due to the leak. I did the fault test, got 8 flashes, then reset it. Replacing all the rusted lines is not going to be worth the effort as I can live without the ASD. The question is just wether there is anything else that uses hydraulics that I can´t live without.

7. stwat

stwat Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1989 W126 300 SE
    Matt, you could chose ASD and/or SLS as an option on any model of 190.

croozer, nothing else runs off that system so you are fine to leave it empty. You may want to remove the woodruff ,key from the pump to stop it from siezing .

8. OP
    OP
    croozer

croozer New Member

Car:
    190e
    Thank you very much.
    Don´t know where the woodruff key is, but I am sure it is rusted through as well.