190E Jacking points & Alloy Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianturner

Hi
Please can you tell me how you remove the jacking point plastic? covers on a Merc 190E

It looks as though they just pull off/out but I don't want to do any damage by doing it wrong ie: should I use a screw driver to lever them out/off?

I have ordinary steel wheels on this Merc which have wheel trims but they are not Merc wheel trims and so I think that they look a bit naff without the Merc logo.

My local dealer quoted me £100 for four wheel trims which seems a trifle expensive compared to the normal £25 for a set of four from an accessory shop but again they are not Merc.

So I'm in a bit of a quandry: should I pay £100 for proper Merc Wheel trims that do look the business or should I pay more and go for a set of alloys?

I want to keep my 190E looking expensive but understated, so I don't want anything fancy or over the top.

Could someone possibly recommend some alloys they have bought that give this look? with maybe a link to a website and an indication of price.

Mine pop off easily with a fine tip, flat bladed screwdriver. They should just pop out, and are retained by a little plastic leash.

As for wheels, standard hubcaps look quite nice. If you go for alloys, try and stick to originals or at least replicas of Merc wheels as they look less "homeboy drug dealer".

You should be able to get some alloys around the wrecking yards fairly cheap as there are about a million dead 190's in this country. Ebay's also got some ripper deals from time to time.

try these guys for MB replicas.

style dynamix

they have MB replica section on their web site...take a look.

Thanks Scotth_uk & White 190

Hi guys

Thank you for that very useful info, I am going to give the breakers a try to start with.

That website was also great so thank you for that, it gave me some ideas for the look that I wanted.

I was in a Halfords superstore this morning and they have a selection of Alloys complete with tyres at £399 per set and the ones by 'Fox' looked ideal for a merc, so I may go for those.

thanks again for your help
which is much appreciated.

You need a set of alloys, a Merc with plastic dinner plates just doesn't do it!

I'd agree whole heartedly with Scott. Go for genuine wheels or replicas. After-market 'non-merc' wheels don't look right or classy.

I sometimes buy MaxPower for a chuckle at what the young do to their Saxos\Novas etc and it has pages of alloys, including many firms who appear to market replica Merc and AMG wheels.:D

Try looking at eBay item #2438727317

Not as good as alloys, but maybe a temporary option if you need to delay a bigger spend!

Derek

Last edited:
Thanks C Benz/Aspire/White 190

Hi guys

Thanks for replying with all your great ideas, very kind of you to try and help me and I guess you are right 'dinner plates' don't cut the mustard like alloys.

Each to his/her own but I don't want to be too flash with this Car, the look I want is 'subtle and understated' I want it to look factory, off the production line.

So any idea what the standard option was if you didn't want wheel trims? also out of interest how much did the 190E cost when new?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom