190E leccy ishoos.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
Ok, car has Laserline alarm and immobiliser. Starts first time despite low battery. I spend much of the day converting the stereo wiring to ISO so I can fit a Becker. That powers up nicely, tomorrow the speakers. However, the internal lights won't now come on, the alarm fob when pressed doesn't activate the central locking (it has plenty of juice) and it won't restart.

I reckon a fuse has gone so will look tomorrow and will get new batteries for the fob just in case, but any other pointers?

Entertainingly as I tested the alarm fob it triggered my door bell (a wifi one), which is more than the bell press does and plays a random tune from one of the Bells of Westminster, Do you ken John Peel and the Yellow Rose of Texas!

Indeed, fuse number 12 will have blown. I have blown a few myself. I now remove the fuse when fitting stereos.

Ah, let's hope a simple fuse solves this. I hate immobilisers anyway so I may get it stripped off.

All sorted - new battery in fob, new fuse 12 (although it hadn't blown) and new fuse 13 (which had). Central locking all fine, car starts first time (although slow having been left out on a cold and wet night).

Thanks all, once again a great resource! Now to figure out of the four identical sets of speaker connections which is which.

Sorted - all working, Becker firing on all speakers (in the correct locations). Just sits a little proud but that's a result of a lot of cables behind that could do with a small amount of sorting.

Interesting little wrinkle. When I switch on the car the Becker comes on but the code request flashes up, meaning it has been not getting current from the permanent 12v supply and I can't power it up when the ignition is off. But checking the permanent current supply after disconnecting the radio it shows 12vs, but at the same place (the female spade connector) when I reconnect it to the radio it shows under 6v, with the radio off (there being no ability to turn it on).

I wonder why this might be?

The permanent live isn't supplying the tiny amount of current to the radio - almost certainly you are just picking up a high impedance source.
In layman's terms - even though you can see a voltage it prolly isn't connected to anything.
I would check whatever fuse supplies this or run another (fused) permanent live wire to the head unit.

Nah.

Solved it. I was using standard ISO wiring and connected permanent to permanent and ignition to ignition wires. The Becker, being German, is the other way round, so permanent was being connected to switched and vice versa. There was also a spare 12v wire too which foxed me. So by reversing connectors (thank heavens I did every single one with spade connectors) it is now working with power keeping it alive and flashing with the ignition off, and no need for a code when ignition on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom