190E OTG & 'taxi' console removal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
Step by step instructions for the mechanically challenged most appreciated.

The mileage trip on my speedo is on the blink & in trying to remove the instrument pod I see the OTG has no plug behind the speedo. I'm guessing it's removed through the front of the pod by giving it a good yank. Is this correct or is there more to it?

Also, while I've got you, I want to replace the broken 6 cassette holder in my centre 'taxi' console (it's a late car) with the more useful tray. I can see where the screws are at the top, by the vents, but can't see any at the bottom & don't know how to remove the ashtray (doh!)

While I'm in there, the lights behind my centre console, ventilation controls etc all went off at the same time. They were patchy for a while, coming on sometimes, other times not.

Any likely causes and solutions for that one?

TIA.

Taking the insterument pod out is easy if you have done it a few times like i have, it helps if you use a haynes manual if you havent done it before tho.
1. I found the best way was to take the cover of under the stearing wheel disconnect the vent pipe,
2. Take the vent out next to the window,
3. Use 4 1p coins to hold down the clips holding the vent surround in place.
4. Push the insterumant pod to the left to free the surround.
5. Disconnect the rear window switch and pull out the surround and turn the vent pipe til you can get it out of the space.
6. Now you have room to put your hand up from under the stearing wheel and unscrew the speedo cable.
7. Now the pod will pull forward, it will be a bit hard to move you may need to push it from behind, BUT DONT push to hard as the main plug to the pod may have a short lead on it, (it is behind the water temp and fuel gage),
8. It mite be easier to remove the other plugs on the pod before taking the the main plug off as you should have enough room to do so.
9. If i have told you right you should have the pod out and its just a matter of unscrewing the metal screws on the back of the pod to remove the insterumants.

I hope this is some help for you.
cccc909

190ian,

Thanks for that.

Do you know how to disconnect the Outside Temp. Gauge?

Er no i havent got one on my one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom