190E Overheating...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zakh

Banned
Hi guys,

Last night on my way back from Leicester on the M1 i noticed the temperature gauge creep up to 120 degrees...!!!

Then stuck in traffic, the car felt very shaky...

Got home checked the coolant and it was fine, checked the fan and it was working...

So can anyone shed any light on this please? The car is a 1990 190E 2.5-16

thanks in advance!

Zak

New thermostat would be my first port of call .....

Hey Howard, thats what im thinking...do you know where this is on my car? Thanks

Zak

Not a clue, i'm about as mechanically minded as Homer Simpson ....

I had these symptoms though ages ago and my indy put a new one in, was cheap too .....

Someone on here will know, definately !

You can't get one on a Sunday anyway ;) , so hold on for an answer, guaranteed someone will answer it before tomorrow.....

Good luck mate !

H

zakh said:
Hey Howard, thats what im thinking...do you know where this is on my car? Thanks

Zak
Zak you are having a laugh surely. Follow the top hose on the radiator and at the engine end is the thermostat.:eek:

Also make sure you do not have an air lock in the heater system. Do a search here and you will find all there is to know about removing them

There you go .....

problems problems

Together with your misfire at high revs I am wondering about----head gasket problem----or something retarding the ignition----problem with the EZL unit----- OR timing chains on these cars are known to jump sprockets if they are worn???? Maybe time to take it to a good independant with a engine analyser. Any ignition problems should show up on the cylinder firing lines.
what kind of spark plugs are you using again? On a brighter note all these problems could be related so if you can get to the bottom of it then hopefully you can enjoy the car a bit more!;)

Last edited:
zakh said:
Well i think cylinder no.1 is suspect...
When you say head gasket i think $$$ :(

Now im using champion plugs gapped at 0.8...but they are not any better or any worse than bosch...

I seriously cannot believe that no one knows for certain what could this be...
Its just a headache...

Just for curiousity i put the tstat into a pan of boiling water...then after a few mins the spring closed...so does that mean its working and my problem is elsewhere?

Zakh

Have some faith.

As grober said check the timing, its true, I have seen it for myself the timig chain can jump.

So check the basics first.

Things to check

1. Timing ( the crank must be on TDC and the two top gears will have one small timing mark on eack wheel and they should both line up the edge of the head)

2. Ignition timing.

3. Tappet clearance. ( there should be a white sticker on your front panal check the hot and cold settings.)

4) Check all vacume pipes.

5) Check for compression in all cylinders.

I hope this helps. This is the basic stuff to check. The cost of checking this minimal.

Copper Core Plugs

Dont whatever you do use these fancy new multiple electrode plugs or the very narrow tipped ones. Any old fashioned plug with a broad copper centre electrode suits these cars best. Bosch or NGK

zakh said:
yes these champion plugs are copper core...
i'll take these out then...

MC - your in london like me...do you know anyone who could check those things for me...i have checked the vacuum pipes many a time...they all seem to be fine...

I can check it for you.

Sent you PM :)

If the champions are the right heat range single electrode copper core they should be OK so dont panic.

Last edited:
ok, so i changed the thermostat today and the car still rises to 120 degrees...
any ideas???

thanks

zakh said:
ok, so i changed the thermostat today and the car still rises to 120 degrees...
any ideas???

thanks
How quickly does it reach 120 degrees from a cold start ?
It could just be that the sender is faulty and sending a bad signal to the temp gauge.
Does your car have an electric fan as well as the mechanically driven fan ?

When the temp is high, put the heater on and you should see a drop in temp as the cold water from the heater matrix goes into the main cooling system.
If there is no change I would suspect a faulty sender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom