190E Question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merconian

Car
C180 Esprit
Just bought a 1984 190E 2.0 Auto.Car is mint with genuine 79,000 miles on the clock.I've heard horror stories concerning the timing chain breaking/slipping on these engines with of course serious consequences.Is this engine prone to this problem.Would it be advisable to have mine changed.It's had regular servicing and the engine is as sweet as a nut.:confused:

Generally speaking - if it ain't noisy, don't touch it.
The early tensioners were of a poor design on some models and didn't tension properly until the oil pressure rose up. Ie, at cold they ran loose for a few seconds each time eading to wear on the sprockets and chain. Perhaps yours has been changed?
Unlike other makes which use a rubber belt, you can hear when the chain is starting to wear and get it changed.
Provided your car is not noisy, and it has had regular oil changes I wouldn't worry!
79 thou is nothing for a merc!
Cheers,
Will

Thanks for that Will.I heard of people ignoring the rattle and paying the price.I wonder how many scrapped 190's are around because of this problem?.
Regds,John.

Not many at all these are not like cam belts. With frequent oil changes 200,000mls on a chain is not uncommon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom